• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets which house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

corinna197

I am getting married to a man that hasn't done his taxes and probably never will. He'll probably end up in federal prison, but oh well I love him. My question is, we both own seperate houses, and we both work seperate jobs, and I do the taxes and claim head of household --- I do not want to be held responsible for his past debts and any new ones he may incur with the IRS. How do I protect myself? Would a prenump agreement do the job, or by never filing my taxes with him work, I never claim him as a dependent, and never will. Should I keep my last name when we marry? Help, I have to look out for my childrens best interest and mine for our future.I live in Ohio

Last edited:

vrzirn

Your first step should be to spend a couple of hours reading the posts in the Divorce and Alimony forums.

L

loku

I agree with vrzirn and also:

When you get married, you can no longer file as “head of household;” at that time you must file as married filing jointly, or married filing separately.

Although there are provisions that give spouses some relief from liability for debts of their spouses; by far the safest thing for you to do is to ALWAYS file separately. That way, you will not be involved in his tax debt.

As for a prenuptial agreement, that is not needed to protect you from his tax debts, but it still is probably a very good idea in your situation. In fact, I definitely suggest you talk to a local attorney about protecting you generally from his past and future debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">