• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truant Runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cilenia

I live in Lorain County in Ohio. My now 17 year old daughter has been a runaway missing for a year. I have moved during that time and she obviously has not been attending school. The school pressed charges of contributing against me for her truency and had me arrested and I went to court last Oct of 2001. The told me to withdraw her from the old school and enroll her in the new school even though she is still a runaway. They apologized to me in court for arresting me. They were never informed she was a run away. BUT the school liason insisted I withdraw her and re inroll her per the "law" even though she would not be attending school and she is almost 18. I went to her old school and formally withdrew her and had them send all the school paperwork to her new school district. I called the new school and explained everything to them and they said If she was ever found before she turned 18 I could come down and we would enroll her and we would access her standing at that time. The first courst hearing and arrest said "Defedant to withdraw child from (old school) and enroll (child) in (new school) district. Defendant to appear in this court for further review on Nov 2, 2001 at 9:30am unless full compliance with this order and notification by liason officer Adam, Kappa. Defendant ordered released."

I did what they told me to do on Oct 24th, 2001 and called the clerk of courts and Adam Kappa and informed them also. On Nov 1, 2001, a warrent was issued for my arrest for failing to appear on Nov 2, 2001 for the review.... YES those are the right dates. I was arrested and taken to court again this month (April) for same charges... prosecutor says she never knew child was a runaway... I imformed her I had an attorney and I did all that was required. She recommended to the judge I be released on a signature bond and have a hearing to clear up this misunderstanding.... the judge said "Nope, she has councel now, it's the second time she's been here in my court.... $1500 cash bond." Then he walked out without a further word.

Question: Can I be prosecuted and held for 24 hours without bond first... and such a high bond for a non criminal act... then is there a law governing I should be held contempt for my runaway child not attending school? They are still trying to prosecute me for the truancy according to the prosecutor. This all seems absurd for a mother sick with worry over a runaway, with absolutely no previous record... not even a traffic ticket. The police and courts treated me like I had killed someone... wouldn't even let me talk to my attorney before court.
Please help me!!!!! What are they doing about finding my lost child????? The system seems really messed up if you ask me.

D

dorenephilpot

I believe that if you repost your question on the criminal law boards that it will increase your chances of getting a knowledgeable answer.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">