• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

required to file?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

treyg

For many years I lived in WA state until 7/2001, and then moved back to the NJ and registered my car in there in 7/2001. I later moved from NJ to PA in 2/2002.

My employer never updated my address to reflect my NJ residence. My official address simply went from WA to PA. This change took place 3/2002.

I have a few mutual funds which had my official address as NJ at the end of 2001.

My questions:
1) Do I legally need to file in NJ?
2) If yes to 1, if I do not file would I likely be audited given the fact that employer never reflected my NJ address?

Thank you for your help.

L

loku

If you moved to NJ for other than a temporary or transient purpose, then you were a NJ resident and you are required to file a NJ return (registration of your car is good evidence that you were other than temporary).

Only a NJ tax practitioner could tell you the chances of your being audited, although most states would probably not audit in such a situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">