• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

injured spouse liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmjones

I currently reside in Connecticut but will be moving to California soon as i am planning to get married in two weeks. My fiance has a fairly large tax liability which he is paying off in installments monthly, but he still owes quite a bit (for neglecting to file his taxes ten years ago). My question is: if we marry, will I ever be held responsible for his remaining debit if he (God forbid) passes away before it is paid off. Also, I will be inheriting some property someday, and I have a lawsuit pending due to a slip-and-fall accident at work last year that left me with a compound fractured ankle that became a Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy disability which is leaving me permanently partially disabled. I am afraid I will become equally responsible for his debt if I marry him. Please Help! We really want to get married!!! Thank you so much.

vrzirn

The following is forever!
Do not comingle any inheritance or settlement money. Do not open any joint credit cards, bank accounts . checking accounts. Do not cosign car loans. If you sign any leases with him be aware that if he skips you are liable for all the rent. Do not permit his name on anything for which you are or may be liable. File your taxes as married, filing separately. Consult a lawyer for a pre-nuptial agreement and more specific advice.
You are heading into a minefield!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">