• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional abuse in school.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NETE

Well, my question is, would it be possible to sue the school for allowing a child to be emotionally abused by other students. The faculty was informed and told about this on a regular basis and never did anything at all. This all took place a while back but had many impacts on my life. Since then I started having trouble in school even after the abuse stopped just being in school all I could think about was that I got really depressed for a while and finally ended up leaving school and I have been told that I may be able to take some action for all the problems I've gone through. Thank you for any help.

D

dorenephilpot

It depends on the level of emotional abuse (simple name-calling, for example, is probably not actionable), whether it affected the child's schoolwork, whether the child is a special ed student or a regular ed student, whether the staff's knowledge of the problems is documented, etc.

Without more information, we can give much of an answer.

Can you elaborate, pretty please?

J

justathought

Also, how long is "a while back". That might have bearing as well.

N

NETE

Alright, well it started when I was in fifth grade so that would be like 6-7 years ago. There was a ton way too much to mention not just name calling but like there were a ton of kids that would go on and on and on about how stupid and fat I am just anything and everything they could find to put me down they'd badger me about there was almost constantly someone talking to my face about me and many things like that. Some in eigth grade I was sexually harrassed by some guys (i'm a guy to and it relates to my being overweight and having some fat on my chest) but I never really told anyone that cause I knew nothing would be done as it never was. It severely affected me i did very well in school up until then and from then on my performance went way down and I never wanted to go and had some really bad depression problems for a long time until I finally ended up quitting school I tried other schools but it still just being in school made me remember and I couldn't deal with that at all. It really affected every aspect of my life. I would tell the teachers and administration and they would claim they would do something and never did and my parents even had to go in a few times to try to have something done. I'm not sure if this is enough information if not I will give more. Thanks =)

N

NETE

Also I don't know if they have records but we do have copies of some of the letters my mother wrote the school I believe, and I was regular education and did very well up until that point.

D

dorenephilpot

From the facts as you describe them, I think your energy would be better spent finishing your education, either at another school or by acquiring a GED, and then going on in your life to being a successful, productive member of society, unlike most of the kids who teased you in school.

Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">