• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Demetrius Lambe

State of Arkansas
High School Removal Policy

In February my 12th grade brother was arrested at a neighborhood home with other occupants during a drug raid. They put everyone in jail on Saturday and did not release them until Tuesday night.("They gave us a piece of paper that stated our bond, they said they couldn't find a judge.") On Wednesday at school, he was dismissed indefinitely to the "School In A School Bootcamp Program". The explanation given was that all students who are accused of a crime of this statue must be removed from school campus. The school handbook read totally different from the principal's interpretation. The faculty at the bootcamp explained their puzzlement for his removal from main campus also. He has never been in any trouble in school. This was his first time being in any trouble out of school. This was not on school property or affiliated with school equipment, activities, etc. The principal himself stated to me directly that he is an idea student who has never been in any trouble. But, the policy states that kids have to be sent to boot camp if they are accused.
For me as a social studies educator, this have been hard to swallow! "Guilty until you can prove your innocence" is not what I have been teaching. HELP!:eek:

D

dorenephilpot

The school must follow its own handbook.

You need to write a letter to the superintendent, explaining how the school's treatment of your child differs from the methods outlined in the school handbook. Deliver this letter personally -- or send it via certified mail.

If the school isn't responsive, you might have grounds for a civil suit.

If your child is a special-needs child, you might have additional federal and state protections that would come into play.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">