• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Band teacher kissed my daughter at School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shelle007

I am a mother of a 17 1/2 yr old daughter who is a senior at a high school in Oklahoma. Last evening, I found out that a male teacher passionately kissed her a week ago during school. My daughter is his teacher's aide in the last hour of class and they were alone. She had been worrying about it since it happened and didn't know what to do and finally broke down in tears and told her boyfriend and they came to my work (police department) and told me.
AS it turns out he has been emailing her and has been flirting with her all year. She thought she could handle the situation until he cornered her in the classroom and kissed her last week. AS far as I can tell other than some flirting and the emails nothing else has "happened" between them. She is very close to her high school boyfriend so I know she was not looking for a relationship
with this teacher and she denies she was too. She is very upset and is afraid to be around this teacher, which naturally she WILL NOT have to be anymore. She did consider this teacher a friend.

We had an emergency meeting late last night with our superintendant about this incident. he interviewed us and our daughter and advised he is going to defintely do something about this situation. He is unsure what it will be at this point
because he has to speak with the school's lawyer and assess the likelyhood of future occurences of this nature. Naturally, we would prefer his immediate dismissal.

I already spoke to a police officer and he advised me that without some physical groping or sexual activity there was nothing criminal they could charge him with. I am a police dispatcher in the same town( and department) and am not sure this officer knows what he is talking about. I will be checking into this further believe me.
One thing I would like to note is my Husband is on the school board of this school. If we go to sue will my husband be named as a defendant too because he is on the board?? Would it be worthwhile to try to get them to pay us something for her emotional distress without going to court?? At this point she is very worried about people finding out because this teacher is a well liked teacher and she is not wanting to go back to school. I am concerned for her emotional health and that would be the only reason I would opt not to sue. Can anyone tell me the options we have and how to best handle the school? what are our rights?

A very worried and Upset mother in Oklahoma,

Shelle007:mad:

D

dorenephilpot

Given the facts as you describe them, my guess is that the teacher will be canned.

The school will be in a MAJOR liability situation by keeping the teacher after an episode like that.

Sit tight and see what happens.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get your daughter into some counseling to help her overcome the emotional ramifications here.

Yes, you have the basis for a lawsuit, I believe, even if the teacher is canned.

However, you might not want to pursue that if you believe that it will keep your daughters emotions too raw.

My guess is that the school can be persuaded to pay for the counseling and other expenses, in the hopes that you'll agree not to sue.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

S

shelle007

First thing Monday morning the teacher was taken into the superintendant's office. He admitted to the whole thing and was asked turn in his resignation by the end of the day. I am not sure what we are going to do from here, but unless it becomes public knowledge i imagine we will not sue. This is due to not wanting to put my daughter through it, otherwise I would have probaby hired a lawyer today. She only has about 6 weeks of school left and we are hoping we can keep it quiet until then at the very least.

Thanks for the replys,

Shelle

D

dorenephilpot

Glad to hear that the school did the right thing here. If they had decided otherwise, that teacher would be a HUGE current and future liability issue for the school.

I think I agree with your take -- he has been punished, and there's probably no benefit to suing now because it will only prolong the emotional upheaval and embarrassment for your daughter.

Good luck to you and your daughter -- she's lucky to have a tigress mom willing to fight for her!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">