• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GTRGRL

I'm not sure if I am posting to the right board about this but here goes.
I decided to apply to an online law school. I work fulltime and do not have the time or money to quit my job and go to school fulltime but wanted to learn the law so this seemed ideal.
However, I'm confused about the application process. An admissions director told me that I needed to send a check for $995 for the down payment of the tuition along with my application before they will even consider my admission. She said they will not cash the check until they have notified me of acceptance. If not accepted, they will send the check back. If I AM accepted, they will give me time to decide if I want to change my mind and if not, they will give me time to put the money in the bank before they cash it. If they do cash it, I can get a student loan to reimburse me for the check.
Something does not seem right about this. I will gladly get the tuition money and give it to them if I am accepted. But I don't see the point in writing them a check, only for them to return it if I am not accepted or change my mind. Why not wait until I am accepted to ask for the check? As of now, that kind of money is not in my checking account so if they are dishonest and cash it anyway, I'll have a $995 bounced check to deal with. I thought about writing the check but stopping payment on it and writing a new one if I am accepted.
Someone please tell me....Is this common practice or should I be suspicious?
Thanks!

Terri
[email protected]

D

dorenephilpot

I don't know anything about online schools, but this transaction sounds fishy.

I can understand if there is an application fee. That is normal. However, most schools don't expect you to pay for something like tuition before you are accepted.

Sounds like a way for them to run off with your money -- and it will be nearly impossible for you to get it back.

Not that I'm suggesting you do this, but a credit card payment would offer you more protections because the credit card company would work with you on a dispute and would have the power to take the money back if something fishy happens.

If the school won't accept a credit card payment, that should be yet another red flag.

My guess is that the online law school is not accredited, so your degree from there wouldn't be worth a lot if you decided to practice law anyway....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">