• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap Parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thebra

I was visiting a friend at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway, AR, when I was given a parking ticket for parking in a handicap parking spot, but the only part of my car that was in the parking spot was my back left tire. Should I try and fight this?

HomeGuru

Yes, of course.
Contest the ticket and request a trial.
Then go to court and tell the judge that only part of your car (your back left tire) was in the stall.
And request that you only pay for part of the fine.
It the judge balks, offer to pay the judge under the table in cash with unmarked bills.

J

jpfletch

Picture is worth 1000 words

It's your word against the cop's...

Good Luck.

Should have gotten witnesses and pics that you weren't parked in handicap.

HomeGuru

Re: Picture is worth 1000 words

jpfletch said:
It's your word against the cop's...

Good Luck.

Should have gotten witnesses and pics that you weren't parked in handicap.
**A: read the post again. The writer admitted that the vehicle was in the handicap stall.

J

jpfletch

Define: In a parking space?

From what I read, the original post by thebra says that "just the rear left tire" was in the handicap spot.. I understand this to mean that thebra can't park straight.

Is the law written that if any part of your vehicle is in the space then you are guilty?

P

plifter

If it happened on university property then screw it just don't pay it, they can't do anything to you unless you attend that school. (in which case they refuse to mail your stranscripts until you pay). If you were on city or state property then go to court. Odds are the retarded cop won't show up to court.:cool:

D

davelu99

plifter said:
If it happened on university property then screw it just don't pay it, they can't do anything to you unless you attend that school. (in which case they refuse to mail your stranscripts until you pay). If you were on city or state property then go to court. Odds are the retarded cop won't show up to court.:cool:
This is not true. Most, if not all states, have legally recognized Campus Police officers as certified, legal, and fully authorized police officers. The ticket may very well have been processed through a court, and not paying could result in vehicle impoundment, denial of licence renewal, or something else provided by law. Also, since the car was in the space, no matter how slight, the car is legally considered to have occupied the space. I think the officer could have written a different citation (namely, "Not Parked Within Lines", which is far less costly), but maybe, s/he was having a bad day. Either way, you should just pay the fine.

S

studville

Actually buddy, It is TRUE. Yes, most university.. such as mine (University of Kansas) have certified cops. But the tickets are handled internally (eg. parking department ) so the university can collect the money. So don't pay the ticket. The worst they do is not send you your transcripts or not let you enroll. The only fine print though... (well at least here) is if you have an outstanding parking balance/tickets. If your car is seen ANYWHERE on university property...(Yes this means even legally parked) they can tow it onsite.

Oh yeah and by the way, next time be more careful when you park and don't take up ANY of a handicap stall. It's asswipes like you who make things difficult for the people who are REALLY handicapped and need the spots and room.

crleslie

Be careful: Even though the tickets are handled internally they can report your failure to pay the fine to the DMV, thus affecting your record. Better check up on the law in your state. I'm in California, and the university and city college parking department does report to the DMV if you don't pay. I would contest the ticket with a written explaination, I have seen many a campus police ticket let off on "courtesy". Better safe than sorry.

K

knorris

plifter said:
I have lived all my life in or around Conway Arkansas and i do know that although UCA has their own campus police they do handle all court apperence's in the same court with the rest of the city, also if you fail to pay or show up for court they will report you to driver control and you could have your license suspended.

THE ''RETARTED COP'' won't show for court . we have very fine police officers in our town. THANK YOU VERY MUCH :p

Rochelle

Pay no attention to plifter. He admitted to having tinted windows so he could jack off while he drives and believes he is being stopped ONLY because he is black. He NEVER does anything wrong, it's just that the cops are racist and blah...blah...blah....you know that same old tirade........check out some of his posts and his stupidity will speak for itself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">