• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

plutodip

I live in the state of New York.

I will explain this in as little words as possible.

I have 4 children. I moved to this area approximately 7 years ago. During that time, I have never had such a terrible time with a school as I've had with this small town school. Every meeting, every phone call, and every time they talk to my child, it has been a difficult situation. I do feel that my family is diliberately singled out. Almost every time my children went to the nurse's office, they were harrassed. She even went as far as to talk about me and make gestures to my children that I am a bad parent. On 3 separate occasions, the nurse has slammed her phone down in front of my children and screamed "she is on the damn internet again". Yesterday, my son, went to the nurse for treatment of minor poison ivy. During this time, she told my son she wanted to know why he had not been to his appointment with the doctor for his heart murmur. To explain - a couple of months ago, she told me that my son was checked by the schools physician and it was noted that a heart murmur was present. Well......I've known this for 15 years. He was born with a heart murmur and was seen by many, many different physicians. At that time (years ago) they told me he was fine. (Children's Hospital of Pgh.)
Now, to bring you up-to-date..........the nurse tells me that this has to be taken care of now and she has to have documentation on her desk SOON. So, I took him to the doctor's once again two months ago. The doctor scheduled an electrocardiogram for the school records. At this time, the winter had kicked up. The hospital in which I had the appt. with canceled with me twice. Then on the third occasion, my truck broke down, and I canceled. My son's appt. is now for April 23, 2002 (5 days from now).

So...while my son was in the nurses office yesterday for the treatment of poison ivy, she told my son that she wanted to know why he has not gone to his appt. He could not give her an answer because he didn't know everything I knew. She then stated "You know Joe, I can have your mother forced to do what is right"..................."If she doesn't take you, there are things we can do".........and so on..

I need to know where the line is to be drawn and what my and my children's rights are.....they should not have to be afraid of the nurse or the school.........my children have suffered enough....they are good kids and do not need to be confronted with adults that talk about their parents so badly. .........and, it is also the principal and office....this is a very small town...very difficult place....!!!!!

This nurse will not even call me...she will speak in front of my kids...

Any help or advice, would be so greatly appreciated.....
If you need any questions answered, please feel free to ask ALL!
thanks

Last edited:

vrzirn

Unless your son contracted the poison ivy on the school grounds, that day, why should the school nurse be responsible for treating him?
You may think my question irrelevant but perhaps the answer has a great deal to do with all the problems you are experiencing.

P

plutodip

confused

It has nothing to do with his poison ivy....I was just explaining the whole situation. The problem was with his heart murmur. My biggest problem his her treatment of my child (or children) and her false insinuations. When my children go to her office on school grounds, during school hours, the nurse is suppose to do her job. This does not include bad-mouthing of a child's mother, nor does it constitute her telling my son that because I have not taken my son to get an electrocardiogram when she says to, she will take certain steps in making me do this. FALSE. My son has seen the doctor on countless occasions throughout the 15 years of his life and all of them noticed his heart murmur......and all of the doctors made mention of it....and all of them said it was nothing to worry about.....until this nurse.........now, she wants to throw her weight around and I would like to know what my parental rights are as well as, my childrens. I have never had this happen. I have had suggestions made, but never have I been told that I will mandatorily do something that was definitely out of their jurisdiction. How can a nurse make certain threats to children and make them feel this way. This has been going on for a very long time. If the school and any of its employees have anything to say, they need to go through the right paths. They need not go through the child. My children have been harrassed in the past.....but, because I live in a very hickish small town, every one thinks they are above the law. I am asking you again, can you tell me what (if any) my parental rights and if my children what I could possibly do to stop them from treating my children in this way?

I know what you are saying......and you are correct, the school and the nurse are not responsible when it comes to the poison ivy......and, maybe then this means, they are not to be telling me how to conduct my life with my family and when to take them to the doctors or when to make physician appointments. Is this what you are trying to say? If this is correct, then I do understand..........

thank you in advance...
I apologize if I am having a hard time explaining my story clearly enough.

Thanks Sandy
feel free to email me if you need to...

Last edited:
D

dorenephilpot

This nurse sounds like a busy body.

Unfortunately, she appears to feel that she's in charge of directing your children's health care, which she is not. That is YOUR power, not hers.

If she believes your children are being abused or neglected, she has a requirement to report that to the state's child protective services.

Otherwise, she needs to shut up and leave your kids alone.

I would recommend that you write a letter to the school administration, sent certified mail, detailing what has occurred and requesting that the nurse not be allowed around your children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">