• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BelindaGail

Hi,
I am in the state of WV. My daughter is in the 8th grade. One of the teachers at the school sponsors the cheerleading team. My daughter went out for cheerleader but didn't make the team. The teacher chose about 8 girls, her daughter being one of them. She is also in the 8th grade. What gives her the right to say that her daughter is better than the other 7 girls that didn't make the team? Everything that is done at that school is revolved around those cheerleaders and the basketball team because this teacher seems to be the only one involved. If they don't cheer or don't play basketball then they are totally left out and they put a hault to parent envolvement. This teacher and her daughter have parties at her home and they come to school inviting the ones in their group right in front of the children whom aren't invited. This hurts these children. My daughter being one of them. They have a popularity vote....her daughter wins most everything and what few things she doesn't win , the other cheerleaders do. This teacher counted these votes alone. No one helped her. I know this because I asked her. I feel she may not have been honest counting those votes and so do many other parents but they are afraid to say anything because of the WVEA. Even the children are suspicious. Now I find out that this same teacher will be sponsoring the cheerleaders in the high school next year where my daughter will attend. I see the same thing happening all over again. Maybe for 4 years. I know that my daughter doesn't stand a chance getting on that cheer team because of her daughters jealousy for my daughter. And I don't aprove of her grouping the kids together like that anyway. It's not healthy.Although, I would like her to get to cheer. Is there anything I can do to change this? This has been the worst year my daughter has had in school. She feels inferior and just wants to quit. She is a staight A student and I want it to stay that way. I have worked hard to help build my duaghters self esteem, to have a teacher who will do anything to put her daughter on top , take that from my child. You know, teachers have alot of influence. Is there anything I can do?

B

BelindaGail

No replies or advice for me. How discouraging. Thanks anyway, I know there's no easy answers.
Belinda

vrzirn

There must be hundreds of kids in that school who do not belong to the cheering squad. I doubt they all feel inferior. If your daughter is a straight A student she would be better served joining an honor society and associating with kids whose minds are more important than jumping around with no real purpose. Social value aside, "cheering" does not affect the outcome of the game. If she needs the physical activity I am sure there are many track and field events or other sports in which she can participate. In the real world, fair or not, "Rank hath it's privileges".
Things do not always go the way you wish and quite often, depite your best efforts, there may be people or circumstances that prevent you from achieving your goals. So you do the best you can with what you get.
You would be wise teaching your daughter these facts instead of whining about something as ludicrous as "cheering".
I do not mean to sound harsh but, without any sugar, that is how things are.
Best of luck to your daughter.
By the way, you posted on 4/18 and barely a day later you were already complaining about a lack of response. Just something else to think about.

Last edited:
B

BelindaGail

vrzirn, I knew I would get a sarcastic reply after I read all the others. I was prepared. I asked for advice from some other real lawyers on the internet and got some really good advice. You guys must be miserable yourself. LOL Just to let you know although it is obvious you really could care less. There is only 70 8th grade students in this school. And you incenuating my daughter doesn't " belong" on the cheer team just tells me you are as sick as this teacher I talk about. My daughter has cheered since kindergarten and is rather good at it. Also, if you had read my post you would see that cheerleading and basketball is all that is offered at school, in this area , period. Geez, I'll be sure to tell my friends and family to beware this crude ,rude setup you people got going here. You don't give good or bad advice you just criticize.
Hope your days ahead are better!

J

justathought

I too cheered since kindergarten, but when high school came around I wasn't in the "in" crowd and thus didn't make the team.

Now, I laugh at all those that made it because after high school I went on to college varsity squads and then semi-pro while they're all raising the "fruits" of their popularity.

Something to think about.

Last edited:
B

BelindaGail

You know, I think my daughter could have really gotten over not making cheerleader. But when you have a teacher (the sponsor) rubbing it in her face all the time such as leaning over, resting on my daughter's desk at school talking to the two cheerleaders sitting next to her about them going to go to the movies after the game, how their going to wear their hair and other things. That is hard to take. Things like this have happened several times. When my daughter takes her accelerated math up to this teacher to be checked so that she can move on to the next math paper, she puts her paper on the very bottom and grades all the other kids first. Leaving my daughter to have to wait till the next day to move on. She is treated unfairly. And I think this teacher and her daughter enjoys it. I have gone to the board of education before over my son not getting to Easter Egg hunt when he was in the first grade because he had gotten a violation for forgetting his pencil in homeroom class and his teacher smacking him over the head with paper but I didn't get any satisfaction. They told me that they agreed with me that it wasn't right but that "she is the teacher". So I know that it won't do me any good to go to the board with this matter. This is an adult being cruel to a child, teacher or no teacher. She is a low life, scum of the earth.

J

jkgoff

Ways to fix the situation.

Hi there. I am both a teacher and a coach in Charleston, WV. I teach at 2 middle schools and coach volleyball for one of them. I think that if you are unhappy with the way your daughter is being treated by the coach that you should go to the WV Secondary Schools Athletics Commision's cheerleading coach clinic and get certified to coach. Then, contact your local BoE and apply for those coaching jobs. You don't have to be a teacher to coach, but do have to have the training from the WVSSAC.

Just a comment about coaching... I have been a coach for 5 years and every year have a parent that is unhappy that their daughter doesn't get to play enough. I have offered my whistle to several of them. I also keep kids on my squads (I have both varsity and JV) that shouldn't be on the team so that I can offer them the chance to make new friends, learn a new sport, and to feel good about themselves. If your school's coach is acting in a way other than that with middle school kids, then she is being unprofessional and not following their oath they have made to the state of WV.

You have also stated that your child's teacher/coach places her math papers at the bottom of the stack to grade.... well.. when you go to the grocery store, don't you go to the end of the line?? I mean, you are really angry at this teacher and need to calm down and look at the situation as an outsider. You might see that much of your complaint is biased and unbased.

All stories have 2 sides. I feel for your child, but if you aren't there and don't see things she is telling you about first hand, ten you have to realize that you are only hearing your daughter's side of the story and THAT makes a world of difference. Have you talked to the coach in a calm and polite fashion and made her aware of your daughter's feelings? If not, then you don't have a real argument.

I see both sides of the situation and I think both sides could do more to resolve the situation for the betterment of the students.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">