• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

10 Yr Old Boy Throws My Son's Razr Cell Phone into Pool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SimplyGina

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My son was playing at a friends house and they decided to go swimming. My son put his Razr Cell Phone on the table with his tshirt. The 10 yr old boy picked up my son's cell phone and said "What would you do if I threw your cell phone in the pool?" At the same time while he was saying that, he was making the throwing motion with his arm & hand. When he did that, the cell phone flew out of the case and landed in their pool. My son came home immediately and I called the boys father. The father apologized and said let's give it a few days to see if it dries out and I explained how expensive this phone was and how it was bought as a Christmas present and it was his only present he got this past Christmas. I also told him that is how my son's father contacts him. Anyways, the father said not to worry he will take care of it if it doesn't work.

I called him a couple days later and told him how it turns on but won't accept the sim card or any sim card. He told me to try going to a repair shop and I agreed to call TMobile to get info on repair shops. Again he said he would take care of it.

A couple days after that, I called him to let him know what it would cost to send into the repair shop and if it could not be repaired they would send me a refurbished phone for $175. At that point, the story changed and he said he no longer feels it is his responsibility. He said that his son was moving it away from the ledge of the pool and it fell in the water. The stories were the same on the initial day it happened but as the days went by, their story changed. The mother-in-law even talked to me and said she saw his hand motion but did not hear what he was saying. All she know is the phone landed in the pool and the case landed on the table. Which is impossible because of the way the table and pool are situated. The pool would have been behind him. Anyways, do you think I have a chance in Small Claims.

SimplyGina

My son is not 10 yrs old. He is going to be 13 and this is the way his father contacts him so that is why he has this phone. The other reason is because he asked for it for Christmas and it was his only present. Anyways, I was not there. My son, his friend, his father and grandmother were there. His father already agreed to pay for it on the day it happened and approx 5 days later. Now he is saying he wont.

Neal1421

SimplyGina said:
My son is not 10 yrs old. He is going to be 13 and this is the way his father contacts him so that is why he has this phone. The other reason is because he asked for it for Christmas and it was his only present. Anyways, I was not there. My son, his friend, his father and grandmother were there. His father already agreed to pay for it on the day it happened and approx 5 days later. Now he is saying he wont.
Do you have that in writing? If not, it is your word against his.

moburkes

Regardless of HOW it got into the water, the other boy is responsible. Sue him and his dad, or however you have to word the lawsuit in your area.

SimplyGina

All I have is a verbal agreement. But I have proof the calls were made and we talk for several minutes on several occasions. Also, the father said on the final day we spoke that he didnt know when he would be able to pay me back because he was laid off and couldn't even pay his car payment. Blah Blah Blah.

So if he never agreed, I would not have known he was laid off.

The family has now changed their story that the son, Zach was moving the cell phone away from the ledge of the pool when it fell into the pool. Which is not what happened. My son knows the value of his cell phone and would never put it near a pool. He also had to walk by two patio sets to get to the pool area.

I am a little nervous because I have never sued anyone before and right now this is all based on principles. If my son EVER accidentally broke someone's property I would immediately pay them for the damage.

acmb05

SimplyGina said:
Other kid is responsible for the phone regardless of how it ended up in the water. It was in his hands last.

I would have bought him a cheap phone. A 13 yer old child is not responsible enough to have a 300 dollar cell phone. Of course there is the "status" that goes with it but cmon does it really matter what "everyone else has or does not have."

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've had your legal question answered...
Now, a bit of advice for the NEXT cell phone. Pony up the monthly charge for INSURANCE on the phone, especially for a pre-teen!

SimplyGina

I just want to run something else by everyone.

They have four witnesses that are saying a different story. My question is, will the judge only use their testimony to base his decision or will he actually look at pictures and use logic, etc.

Does a verbal agreement mean anything in Indiana. Because for several days the father did agree to pay for the cell phone and went as far as to telling me he was unemployed and was having a hard time paying for his truck payment, etc....

Just a little nervous. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.

It DOESN'T MATTER

If he told you he would pay or not is irrelevant. His child was the one who was in possesion of the cell phone last. He could have said there was no way he was paying from the get go. But his child had possession of the cell phone last and it is his responsiblity to pay for repair/replacement. Sue him in small claims.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">