• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 month lease, roommate goes to jail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lgreen

Idaho

Hi,

I signed a 12 month lease on a rental house with two other roommates. One roommate stopped coming home a couple weeks ago and we have since learned he was incarcerated and will remain incarcerated perhaps through the remainder of our lease.

I have not received his 1/3 of the rent for November. His parents have started moving his stuff out and claim he is moving out, however, despite me informing them, I'm not sure they realize he signed a lease and therefore is bound by a contract regardless of whether his stuff is there or not. His mom contacted me wanting to know what I plan to do about his portion of the security deposit. She then wanted to know if there is going to be any problems with the lease agreement (stupid question...haha).

So I just need some advice on how to handle this situation so that I don't get screwed. What are his obligations/liabilities? How do I deal with the security deposit issue? I have no idea what to do, but I'm already ticked I had to pay his 1/3 of the rent for November. I'm looking for a new roommate, but need some time to do that.

Thanks

BL

If the SD was paid to the LL , the LL treats the SD per laws , when all tenants on the lease vacate .

Find another roommate .

Your old roommate is on the hook until replaced by a new one .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">