• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$25,000 owed on verbal agreement, what to do????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Toni954

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My question is concerning my best friend. She has been engaged for the past 2 years, over this time period her fiance had asked to borrow money from her.Let me start from the beginning, 2 1/2 years ago he invited my bestfriend and her 2 children to move in with him ( he owned a house). Prior to her even dating him ( about 2 yrs prior) she was in a car accident and awaiting a settlement of 15,000 dollars. After about a year of them being engaged she finally got her settlement, her fiance had asked her if he could borrow the money cause he was late on his house taxes and didnt want to lose his house, he had told her that he would get the money back asap and that he hated that he had to borrow from her, so she gave all of her settlement to him, expecting that when he refinaced his house he would give her all of it back. Well since he was going to be refinancing his house he convinced her to lend him some more money to get the house fixed up and yet again he would repay everything back. That was another 5,000 ( her tax refund) for an air conditioning system in the house, plus a new kitchen floor and painting. Well he never did refiance the house that year, he said it would be better to wait till next yr ( as the house prices kept going up and he wanted to get his moneys worth in the house and make sure he would have enough to give her back now the 20,000 he borrowed. One year later, now tax time again, he wanted to pay off his credit card bills, again he asked her to help him out, she gave him again yet another tax check 5,000, which again he promised to repay. He finally did refiance about 2 months later on his house and big surprise he didnt have the money to give her. Now she has finally had it with their relationship, she is broke all the time from helping him pay his morgage,electric bill, water, cable exc.... and not getting any respect and or appreciation for helping him when he was in need. She told him she was leaving and wanted her money back and he came straight out and told her "well you better get a lawyer cause i dont owe you anything". He is now trying to claim he is entitled to all the money (25,000), she let him borrow. She has no written agreement but she has kept every reciept from everything, check stubs and all ( cause she never gave him straight out cash , just checks). He told her yesterday that he will agree to give her 4,000 dollars and the rest he considers "room and board" for her and her kids. To me that is insane, since when did she turn into a tenant instead of a fiance. Like i had said besides lending him 25,000 dollars , she has been paying for electric,water,cable,food and helping him with the morgage when he ran short. I told her to get a lawyer, there has to be some way she can get all of this borrowed money back. Any Advice would be great.
And i would just like to say Yes it was stupid for her to lend him all this money, but he had promised to give it back, she trusted him and trusted his word and he took advantage.
Thanks for reading this
~Toni

HomeGuru

Toni954 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My question is concerning my best friend. She has been engaged for the past 2 years, over this time period her fiance had asked to borrow money from her.Let me start from the beginning, 2 1/2 years ago he invited my bestfriend and her 2 children to move in with him ( he owned a house). Prior to her even dating him ( about 2 yrs prior) she was in a car accident and awaiting a settlement of 15,000 dollars. After about a year of them being engaged she finally got her settlement, her fiance had asked her if he could borrow the money cause he was late on his house taxes and didnt want to lose his house, he had told her that he would get the money back asap and that he hated that he had to borrow from her, so she gave all of her settlement to him, expecting that when he refinaced his house he would give her all of it back. Well since he was going to be refinancing his house he convinced her to lend him some more money to get the house fixed up and yet again he would repay everything back. That was another 5,000 ( her tax refund) for an air conditioning system in the house, plus a new kitchen floor and painting. Well he never did refiance the house that year, he said it would be better to wait till next yr ( as the house prices kept going up and he wanted to get his moneys worth in the house and make sure he would have enough to give her back now the 20,000 he borrowed. One year later, now tax time again, he wanted to pay off his credit card bills, again he asked her to help him out, she gave him again yet another tax check 5,000, which again he promised to repay. He finally did refiance about 2 months later on his house and big surprise he didnt have the money to give her. Now she has finally had it with their relationship, she is broke all the time from helping him pay his morgage,electric bill, water, cable exc.... and not getting any respect and or appreciation for helping him when he was in need. She told him she was leaving and wanted her money back and he came straight out and told her "well you better get a lawyer cause i dont owe you anything". He is now trying to claim he is entitled to all the money (25,000), she let him borrow. She has no written agreement but she has kept every reciept from everything, check stubs and all ( cause she never gave him straight out cash , just checks). He told her yesterday that he will agree to give her 4,000 dollars and the rest he considers "room and board" for her and her kids. To me that is insane, since when did she turn into a tenant instead of a fiance. Like i had said besides lending him 25,000 dollars , she has been paying for electric,water,cable,food and helping him with the morgage when he ran short. I told her to get a lawyer, there has to be some way she can get all of this borrowed money back. Any Advice would be great.
And i would just like to say Yes it was stupid for her to lend him all this money, but he had promised to give it back, she trusted him and trusted his word and he took advantage.
Thanks for reading this
~Toni
**A: your advice was the best. She needs to hire an attorney.

djohnson

She has nothing to go to a lawyer with at this point, it would just be another waste of her money. It is her word against his and because she was living there it wouldn't be unreasonable to pay for repairs and things for the house. Did she expect to just live there for free? I would take his offer at this point.

Toni954

She was paying for all the utility bills in the house, plus food and such, its the fact that she would have never given him her settlement and tax checks if he came out and said he wouldnt pay her back. The agreement was he borrows this money and pays her back asap.

djohnson

And she can prove that how? He can easily say she volunteered the money since her and the kids were living there rent free and since she thought they would get married and she wanted to improve on the home. Without proof she is going to have a very hard time. Also, even with the slight chance she gets an attorney, comes up with his fees, and wins (which I don't think is likely) how is she going to get blood from a turnip?

Toni954

let me just explain a bit more into this. My best friends fiance had his sister (who is 26 yrs old) living in the house as well. Now my best friend was paying ALL of the utility bills like i had stated early plus morgage when he ran short, his sister on the other hand ( who mind you has a job) was paying nothing, nada. He allowed his sister to live there rent free, she didnt have to clean, buy groceries, nothing and yet she was buying things left and right for herself (clothes, computer, fax machines exc.....) and my best friend was left broke every month, that is what started the fighting, she frankly had enough of paying off all of his bills and being treated with disrespect and not being appreciated and constantly fighting with him (fiance), to have his sister clean up around the house and help out with bills, but he would not budge, he didnt feel his sister was entitled to pay anything cause she had her own bills to pay (credit cards and what not). its a horrible situation and yes i firmly believe my best friend is entitiled to her own money she let him borrow.

djohnson

What you firmly believe really doesn't matter in a court of law. Decisions are based on facts and proof and your friend has none. She never pursued it until the relationship ended which will make her come off looking a spurned lover and that she is just trying to cause him problems because she has nothing but her word against his. Now that you have elaborated I think it's an even less of a chance since the other roommate will obviously be his witness. You are welcome to do what you want and get an attorney and she can take him to court. You never know, but you came here looking for legal advice not someone to say "you go girl".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">