• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 people signed onto apartment lease question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Byte35

This is in Georgia.

Backstory**************myself and 2 other people were all signed onto an apartment lease around 2 years ago. Signed on meaning all 3 of our names and our signatures were on the lease agreement.

Long story short, the situation quickly went bad and we all defaulted on the lease with around 5 months remaining. One moved out with no notice, other one lost their job and I couldn't pull the full rent + all utilities by myself while waiting on trying to find new roommates.

After the electricty was cut off (it was in the name of the roomie who left and being there alone I couldn't pay the rent, let alone that bill by myself)
I'll admit I said "forget this" and moved in with my boyfriend.

The apartment told me we owe around $2,000 for breaking the lease. Since 3 of us were on the lease I offered to pay my 3rd of that $2,000 right there, but they said they don't split up debts. Just said they want all of it, doesn't matter which of us or how we paid.

Well, it went to a collection agency and I explained the situation to them and that I'm more than willing to pay my 3rd of the debt . They also said they don't split up debts and if said if I did pay 1/3rd of it they'd still want the rest and would pursue me equaly to get it. I told them I'd rather have a judge handle this situation and sent them a notice cease and desist order.

Today I had a visit from the Marshall having me sign papers showing the collection agency has in fact filed a lawsuit to get the money.

It only mentions my name on it and I've had no contact with my former roomies, so I have no idea if they got one also or if the agency is only targeting me, expecting to take me to court alone over it.

If not, it doesn't seem right that they could single out 1 person out of 3 on a lease to pursue with civil court.

Any thoughts on my situation ?

I'm more than willing to go before a judge and explain the situation and again, offer to pay my 3rd of the total debt.

Can a judge split the debt up where each of us would owe 1/3rd of it ?

That seems to be the logical and fair thing to do in this situation, but I'm kinda worried that somehow I've been singled out to get stuck with the entire debt.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">