• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandoned personal property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cm_hawkins

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I have an exboyfriend that moved out nearly 8 months ago. I have asked him repeatedly to pick up the remainder of his belongings. He refueses to do so. At what point is enough, enough? I want his stuff gone. Can I sell/discard it?

JakeB

Only if he intended to relinquish ownership of the items. His intent can be established circumstantially. If I were you, I'd write him two or three letters that demand that he take the items, and in the final letter I'd state that the items will be discarded if not retrieved by a specified date. If he refuses to get the items at that point, then (with copies of the letters) you'll probably be able to prove that he abandoned the items should he take this matter to court.

racer72

You want to send a letter of specific performance. Send the ex a letter demanding removal of the items from your premises giving a set deadline, 14 days is sufficient, to remove the items. Also include a list of the items. Send it CRRR (certified, return receipt requested). If at the end of 14 days from receipt the stuff is still in your possession, it is yours to do as you wish. You only need to send the demand once. Keep a copy of the letter and don't lose the USPS receipt of delivery. These are your defense if he bring legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">