• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hellokitty630

What is the name of your state? Nevada

A year ago, I financed a ATV for my now exboyfriend. He signed a promisary note that I wrote out (not notarized) that he agreed to pay the montly payment and that if he missed or was late with a payment that I would sue him for the balance of the loan. He has been paying for the ATV and was storing it at a friend of his place. Now they do not speak and the friend is selling his house. Since they are not speaking, my ex won't return the guys calls or emails and now the friend is dumping it on me since it is in my name.
What do I do? I know I need to try to get in contact with him, but how long do I wait before I can sell it? What if he is still making payments, but refuses to retrieve it?:confused:

JETX

Send your 'ex' a letter (certified RRR) advising him that you have possession of the ATV and for him to contact you within 30 days to arrange to take possession. Include a statement that if he doesn't contact you, you will sell the ATV and apply the proceeds of the sale against the amount he still owes you. If the proceeds do not pay the debt in full, he will still be liable for the unpaid portion.

hellokitty630

Thank you for your advice JETX. I have one more question. I will send him the certified letter, but in case I have to go to court and have to prove that I sent him a letter, should I get a notarized copy of the one I sent to him?

JETX

"should I get a notarized copy of the one I sent to him?"
*** Nope. That is what the certifed RRR (Return Receipt Requested) is for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">