• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

About Slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IHaveQuestions

What is the name of your state? VA

I know a lot of slander and libel information has been covered. However; I have some questions that I have not found answers to.
I have a girlfriend who works at a fast food restaurant owned locally. Her managered pried in to my personal business and asked her if I was working and I was employeed with a guy doing construction work but I was off a lot lately because he had of lack of work. He told me that I was going to start back on monday working a full schedule. My girlfriend told her this. The manager told me she could offer me a part-time job at nights because I could not work the same shift as my girlfriend. I didn't really care because I was going to be getting more than part-time hours doing counstruction work. I may have took the job if it was full-time though to make sure I had a steady job. I also would have took the part-time job if I could work it around my scheldule with construcion work. I told her I wouldn't be able to come in on second shift at 2 or 3 because of my other job that I'd be better off staying at. She said ok.
The next couple of days she hires a guy for day-shift working on the same shift as his girlfriend that was already employed there. She told me she couldn't do that for me.
When asked by other employees why she didn't hire me she told them that I told her that 4 o-clock was too early to get up in the morning. That was untrue because she never even offered me a day-shift job. She told me I couldn't work day-shift because my girlfriend worked that shift. She also told people there that I don't want to work and called my girlfriends grandmother and told her the same thing. This can be hurtfull to ones reputation especially if it isn't true and it isn't. I have witnesses that know what I said and what she said.
I contacted the store owners the first time I found out whe was making false statements about me. It happened since then because nothing was done about it.
She is still working there as a manager and the owner told me she has been repremanded for her actions but I was told he never even came down to investigate it. Also about two minutes later on the phone I got ill and he said that she wasn't running her mouth about me. That tells me right there that he lied when he said she was repremanded.
Ok, so my question is should I sue for slander since she defamated my character and who do I go after her or the owners because it happened at the restaurant while she was working? How much I should try to sue for if I do? Sorry for this being lengthy.

racer72

What damages have you suffered? And you cannot sue for slander in small claims court, you will require the services of an attorney and will sue in a district or superior court.

I

IHaveQuestions

followup

Ok I didn't know which court to go to so thanks for the info. The damages are because of what she says now whenever I go there to get something to eat I have to worry about what people think of me and they may give me bad looks because of an untrue statement made by the manager, I she didn't get the false statement out to the whole world or anything. But to me if just one person thinks less of me because of what she said that's serious to me. I don't even won't any mony I just want her repremanted by the store owners, she doesn't deserve a management position if she does thing like that. I may have left this out of the original message but after I complained to the owners she called my girlfriends grandmother saying the same things and now she may think less of me and that could causes more problems.

H

hexeliebe

You have suffered no damages.

Damages, in law, are monetary such as the lost of your job (you admitted you already have one), loss of income (not in your case) or loss of some other measurable entity.

Forget it and move on. Otherwise, you'll start sounding like so many others who come here searching for a way to 'sue the *******s' and you'll get nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">