• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accept offer or fight appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pearlandtx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Have a 8500 default judgement in small claims for a botched remodel job. Now they want to offer 1500 or they will appeal. Of course they say will counter claim and throw all including the kitchen sink at me.

We have solid documentation on the cost of re-work, very graphic pictures, but also do not want a costly battle.

Never did this before:
1. Should I counter offer like 7000? or Should I go to appeal?
2. Will I need a lawyer there? or can I represent myself, or will I get mauled?
3. Do appeals work... do they routinely overturn judgements?

Thanks!

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Have a 8500 default judgement in small claims for a botched remodel job. Now they want to offer 1500 or they will appeal. Of course they say will counter claim and throw all including the kitchen sink at me.

We have solid documentation on the cost of re-work, very graphic pictures, but also do not want a costly battle.

Never did this before:
1. Should I counter offer like 7000? or Should I go to appeal?
2. Will I need a lawyer there? or can I represent myself, or will I get mauled?
3. Do appeals work... do they routinely overturn judgements?

Thanks!
I'm really sure you have enough common sense to answer your own questions.

How costly can responding to an appeal get? The court costs are on the Appellant aren't they? I'd be pretty upset to win a judgement of 8500 and the Defendant offered 1500 to settle or "I'm going to appeal". It's either one or the other. Like it's a tough decision? :rolleyes:

cyjeff

Tell him you are thinking about it until the 10 day deadline is reached.

If that doesn't work, go back to court and include your lost wages for the additional time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">