• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Across State lines.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bringitdown

I live in michigan and I was scammed by someone over the internet. I have some pretty good proof (for small claims court) and this person lives in a different state (California). So is it possible to sue someone in small claims court across state lines?

If I need to file a claim in california can I also sue for travel expenses :D .

Also, the person that scammed me was a minor at the time of scammage. However he somehow had a Credit Card merchant account and had a webhost which is insane to me.

Any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated.

B

Bringitdown

Well IM gonna go ahead and file a small claims suit and have him served with a subpoena via mail. Since he probably wont show up to court can I then garnish his wages if I find out where he works?

JETX

"So is it possible to sue someone in small claims court across state lines?"
*** Yes. But the defendant (if he answers at all) simply has to challenge the court having jurisdiction on this action and the court will likely dismiss your case. And even if you do get a judgment, you will have to domesticate it into the defendants state in order to get access on any non-exempt assets needed to enforce the judgment.

"If I need to file a claim in california can I also sue for travel expenses ."
*** No.

"Also, the person that scammed me was a minor at the time of scammage."
*** A minor can enter into a contract. The only problem is, the minor can simply advise the court that they wish to rescind the contract and the contract is voided.

"However he somehow had a Credit Card merchant account and had a webhost which is insane to me."
*** Shouldn't be. As noted above, a minor can enter into a contract, but has the right to cancel it at any time (until he is an adult).

"Any help would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated."
*** Your pursuing a California debtor in your home court is possible (if they don't challenge), but if you get a judgment it won't be enforcable against the debtor in his state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">