• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which Address Do I Use -- the Registered Agent's or the Corporation's?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I've been searching your excellent site for a while but haven't found a clarification to my question.

Situation: I operate my business as a sole proprietorship. It looks as though a client -- a Corporation registered in the state of Georgia -- may refuse to pay us (my associate and me) the balance owed in accordance with the terms of the signed work agreement between us.

In anticipation of having to sue in Small Claims, I verified the Corporation's registration in Georgia and Registered Corporate Officers via the Georgia Secretary of State website.

I know that to file suit, I must file listing a registered agent of the Corporation. The CEO signed our work agreement, was our sole authorized point of contact during the performance of the contract (technical writing services performed here in Texas for use by the Corporation client), and I have verified that she is listed as an official registered agent of the Corporation.

Question: The address of the Corporation is in Georgia, but the address listed for the CEO is in California. When it comes time to file the suit -- which will list the CEO and her Corporation -- and serve the defendant, what address would I use -- the Corporation's address in Georgia or the CEO's address in California? :confused:

Concern: My local court instructs that I first send a "pay up or suit will be filed" notice by certified mail, return receipt requested. I've no issue with sending that to both the Georgia and California addresses, but serving in two states, with two addresses, would be more costly and would seem to me to involve some wasted effort.

Thanks! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">