• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Address needed for small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snooky015

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in North Dakota and I am planning on taking some people to court who demolished my house while living in it. They have moved out and I do not have their current address. They left no forwarding address. I do know what town they are living in and state, but no address. Do I need this in order to take them to court? I know this is a stupid question but I was told I would not need it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can likely serve them at their last known address.

From a practical standpoint...how do you intend to collect if/when you win?

snooky015

My only concern on that is, they left no forwarding address with the post office. I do know they are living in a free fema trailer in Minot. If I contacted fema would they be able to give me the address?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My only concern on that is, they left no forwarding address with the post office. I do know they are living in a free fema trailer in Minot. If I contacted fema would they be able to give me the address?
I wouldn't expect that. The address you would use for suing is their last known address.

<hint: The last known address is the unit they rented from you>

I would suggest that you, at a minimum, get a consultation with an attorney.

snooky015

I have spoke with an attorney and he stated I would have to take them into court in the County they are living in now, and when going to court to get a judgement against them to have wages garnished. I know this is not a for sure thing. Well aware they will either switch/quit their jobs or run.. I tried calling the attorney today to discuss the address thing with him and he was not in his office today. This is why I thought I would come on here and ask.. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">