• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[advice]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uncieP

Hello,

I am in the UK.

I made a claim against someone using the small claims court. the defendant did not respond so I was given judgement by default. the judgement was sent to the defendant.

then I get a letter from his solicitor telling me that the defendant never received the claim and that they will apply to set-aside the judgement. the hearing for this takes place soon.

the solicitor has sent me letters asking me to send him details of the claim. I have ignored these letters as I believe the defendant can obtain this information himself by contacting the court and asking for the claim to be re-sent.

his solicitor tells me that if I do not send him details of the claim before the hearing to set-aside the judgement, he will ask the judge to make me pay the defendant's attendance fees etc.

my question is : am I obliged to respond to the solicitor and send him the details of the claim ? and can the solicitor really ask the judge to makle me pay the defendant's fees if I don't send him the information he is asking for ?

(again I must stress that he can do this himself by asking the court for the details of the claim, I really do not know why he is asking me)

any help appreciated...

Proserpina

Hello,

I am in the UK.

I made a claim against someone using the small claims court. the defendant did not respond so I was given judgement by default. the judgement was sent to the defendant.

then I get a letter from his solicitor telling me that the defendant never received the claim and that they will apply to set-aside the judgement. the hearing for this takes place soon.

the solicitor has sent me letters asking me to send him details of the claim. I have ignored these letters as I believe the defendant can obtain this information himself by contacting the court and asking for the claim to be re-sent.

his solicitor tells me that if I do not send him details of the claim before the hearing to set-aside the judgement, he will ask the judge to make me pay the defendant's attendance fees etc.

my question is : am I obliged to respond to the solicitor and send him the details of the claim ? and can the solicitor really ask the judge to makle me pay the defendant's fees if I don't send him the information he is asking for ?

(again I must stress that he can do this himself by asking the court for the details of the claim, I really do not know why he is asking me)

any help appreciated...

Sorry, but this forum deals only with US law.

Have you tried talking with CAB?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">