• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice regarding compulsive hoarding neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theresa1121

What is the name of your state? PA
I live in a "twin" home which is literally one dwelling with common wall separating the two sides. We bought our half 30 years ago and have remolded extensively.
The problem is the man who purchased the other half 7 years ago and does not open any windows, clean, mow the grass and takes tons of JUNK into the house on a weekly basis.
I continually called our borough's code enforcment official and after three years he finally visited the home, scheduled an inpsection and he and the fire chief gave him numerous code violations to repair. The electric was bad and wall burned inside.
No fines or time lines were given and the neighbor hired a contractor who has been working intermittently over there since last August and the house is in the worst disrepair yet. The first floor was gutted, all walls taken down and is a disgrace. It is still packed with junk, the basement I hear from workers is so bad they cannot finish the wiring as too much junk to get around and yet my requests for a timely solution fall on deaf ears.
Today I called the borough "manager" and she knew of the property and says the code enforcer is doing what he can. I said what about fines or better yet eviction.
It is an unsafe situation and any landlord would have evicted this filthy guy years ago and I cannot believe because he owns it he is allowed to live like this.
Two years ago he had the common back porch area removed on his "side" and had some fly by night patio room company stick a fiberglass room and plastic deck onto the back. It totally is out of character for the rest of the house and now there is a 12 inch difference in our common back roof!!!
How can he have free reign to compromise a common structure and what are my legal rights?
I read I can sue him in small claims court in PA and get up to $5000 if he is guilty of being a private nuisance, but I don't want money, I want him gone.
Please help. I have been putting up with him almost 8 years and this ridiculous attempts to redesign the house since last year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">