• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise Please, Loan Responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eric2nice

Im am in Seattle Washington.

My ex OFFERED to take out a cash advance from one of her credit cards so I could pay off some debt. I stupidly accepted her offer. She got a check in the mail, game me the $, and that same day I called and set up an AUTOMATIC DEDUCTION out of my bank account to the credit card company every month (paying more than the minimum payment due).

Now we are broken up. She has claimed bankruptcy and no longer owes that credit card any $, but still wants me to pay on one of her OTHER credit cards. The initial agreement was that I would pay the debt to the card that the loan was taken out on, not any other. Thats why the AUTOMATIC DEDUCTION from my account went to the credit card company and not HER PERSONAL ACCOUNT.

Am I legally responsible to pay this $ to her on another card?

Please advise.

JETX

If this was a loan (and it sounds like you agree that it was), it doesn't matter what card you pay on.... you still owe the repayment.

I know, "but she had that debt discharged in bankruptcy".... but that doesn't release YOUR obligation to her for repayment. Not fair, but correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">