• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After winning the small claims judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tttishopper

What is the name of your state? NY

As an incentive to take a job offer, the recruiter firm agreed in writing to pay me $3500 after I started my job. Months passed and I was unable to collect since the VP that made the arrangement had already left the firm (which I doubt since his info is still on the company's updated website)... I took them to small claim court and I won. Only after my current employer threathens to terminate their relationship with that firm, the owner of the company reluctantly paid 1/2 out of his personal account in July with a note stating that the remaining will be paid no later than Sep 1.

When I e-mailed to follow up today, I was told "don't waste your time, we are closing the business" (which I still doubt as he's been mentioning that for a while now).. I have been more than accomodating and would like to know if I can 1) still go thru the enforcement officer and take the $$ out from his PERSONAL account. 2) File a criminal suit against the firm as well as the owner of the firm for fraud? or 3) If I have any other options.

Any feedback would be appreciated......

dcatz

would like to know if I can . . . take the $$ out from his PERSONAL account.

Not unless the judgment is against him or the business is his sole proprietorship and you named him

would like to know if I can . . . file a criminal suit against the firm as well as the owner . . . for fraud?

It’s a criminal complaint. You don’t prosecute it yourself, and the answer is no, not based on any information posted.

would like to know . . . if I have any other options.

What else have you tried? I hope the answer isn't "nothing". Do you know the company composition? Do you even have a writ or garnishment order or whatever it's called in NY? (You might consider using the “search” function on the site-it’s not a unique question. Look under things like bank garnishment, assignment order, debtor exam and UCC-1 filing to start.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">