• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After you win, then what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cschen22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello, my question is, after you win a case in small claims, how do you get your money from the defendant? What if he argues that he has no money to pay? How does the court make them pay? Thank you all.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello, my question is, after you win a case in small claims, how do you get your money from the defendant? What if he argues that he has no money to pay? How does the court make them pay? Thank you all.
You'll need to file for a Proceedings Supplemental to find out their assets and income.

cschen22

You'll need to file for a Proceedings Supplemental to find out their assets and income.
What if he has no listed assets/income. He's only a student. I know for a fact that he gets money every month from his parents though, but is that even provable? Also, does a car that he has not fully paid off count? I know a few months ago, he traded in his 20K car as a down payment for a 40K car. Is there anyway the courts could see that and use that and make him pay me?

racer72

You may be one of the 75% of individuals that win small claims court cases and are never fully paid or collect nothing at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">