• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alias Summons Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkarts

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My mother received an Alias Summons last night from Discover for $8,033.06 plus court costs. This is just one of many owed debts. She went through a really nasty divorce, and the debt grew because of her ex-husbands actions, though this is not provable.

One of the pages included looks like a copy of an old statement. It says, "Internal Charge-Off 3-31-05"

She has been unemployed for a number of years, and has no assets to speak of. I am supporting her. We live in an apartment (her name is on the lease). She has an old Ford Mustang, and a meager bank account in both of our names.

She also has medical problems, which makes it painful and hard for her to walk. Is it somehow possible for me to take her place in court?

Also, with her being unemployed and having no assets, is there some action we can take to stop this judgement from happening?

Finally, on the summons, it says:

"This case will not be heard on the day for appearance specified above. If you have filed your written appearance or answer, you need not appear in person on that day."

What does that mean? Can I just send a letter to someone or something?

I appreciate any advice from anyone...we can't afford an attorney, and I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

JETX

Is it somehow possible for me to take her place in court?
Unless you are a licensed attorney, no.

Also, with her being unemployed and having no assets, is there some action we can take to stop this judgement from happening?
Nope. Her current conditions have no impact on the creditors right to pursue payment.

"This case will not be heard on the day for appearance specified above. If you have filed your written appearance or answer, you need not appear in person on that day."

What does that mean?
It simply means that SHE has to file an answer to the charge on or before that day... or to make an appearance in court ON that day. If she does neither, a judgment will be rendered against her for the full amount being claimed.

Can I just send a letter to someone or something?
Nope. YOU can't do anything as YOU have no standing in this matter. Your mother has to answer or appear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">