• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I entitled to be reimbursed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrowe925

IN. I recently purchased an engagement ring for a now ex-fiance due to her giving it back. Prior to purchasing it, she had gone to the jewelry store and picked it out from her friend/former roommate that worked at the jewelry store. She had told me that her roommate knew what ring she wanted and that she didn't need to go with me if/when I purchased it. I purchased it the last part of March 05 and proposed to her the first week in April 05 at which she accepted my proposal for marriage. Approximately two months later, she gave me the ring back and stated that she couldn't marry me. The ring had a thirty day return policy. Obviously the thirty days were up and now I'm stuck with a payment for a ring that is a substantial cost ($3500.00). Do I have any grounds to file in small claims court and try to have her pay for the ring for which I have no use for anymore since she committed breach of contract (verbal and in writing also)? I am aware that if she pays for it she will get it back which is fine by me because I have no use for it and wouldn't want to give it to someone else anyway. When I proposed to her, she signed her name on a made up marriage proposal document that was a part of my proposal to her. By her signing this, this technically is a valid contract, isn't it?

djohnson

You have the ring back, you aren't entitled to anything else. You can sell it, or flush it, it doesn't matter.

JETX

scrowe925 said:
Do I have any grounds to file in small claims court and try to have her pay for the ring for which I have no use for anymore since she committed breach of contract (verbal and in writing also)?
Nope. Be damn glad you got the ring back.

By her signing this, this technically is a valid contract, isn't it?
Nope.

The principal here is that the ring was a 'conditional gift', on condition of the marriage. The 'condition' didn't occur, and you got your 'gift' back.

vtbeard

scrowe925 said:
When I proposed to her, she signed her name on a made up marriage proposal document that was a part of my proposal to her. By her signing this, this technically is a valid contract, isn't it?
:confused: what exactly did she sign?

If she gave the ring back to you, as she should, then no, it doesn't seem as though she should be responsible. If she kept it, then that would be a different story. The only other option, try to sell the ring and collect what you can on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">