• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for unpaid freight bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamanthaCobos

Minnesota

I'm an interior designer. I purchased furniture directly from a manufacturer - I paid them for the furniture as well as the frieght charges. The furniture company canceled their contract/account with the freight company without paying the freight associated with my orders. Now the freight company is after me for the payment - they are saying if I do not pay by Aug 11 they will take me to small claims court. The feight bills add up to about $900 - I already paid the charges through the furniture manufacturer. The Freight company says they have this right and it is granted by the US Federal Highway Administration Authority (FHWA) and the US Department of Transportation (DOT). I can't find anything to support this and need help. Can they legally go after me? Do I have a case? Should I pay the freight and then go after the furniture manufacture? I can't get any information from the Department of Transportation - they directed me to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - and then they told me to talk to a lawyer.

Please offer any advise.

Thank you,
Samantha Cobos
INTERIORS by Samantha Cobos

xylene

SamanthaCobos said:
Please offer any advise.
I am assuming the furiture was actually delivered bt the mover?

If so, than pay the mover the $900 charges, and sue the furniture manufacturer for the return of the money you paid them for that shipping plus whatever else brings you up to $900.

IF the order was not delivered by this carrier but another.

Tell the mover to pound sand.

If the order was not delivered period, then tell the mover to pound and sue the furniture people for whatever you can.

900 is small enought to go to small claims.

Good luck.

Dandy Don

Can you provide documentation that you paid the freight charges and which company did the shipping?

If so, then just defend yourself in court and you will not have to pay anything.

They should be going after the freight company, and if the freight company can't afford to pay, then it's not your fault.

SamanthaCobos

Yes, I have records of payment to the furniture manufacturer and the freight company is on the bill. Are you sure that I would not be liable - I'm listed as the "Consignee" on the bill along with the Shipper (the furniture manufacture).

BL

So, did you demand reimbursement from the Furniture manufacture for the shipping cost they kept when they canceled the contract ?

If not , do so preferably by RRR Certified mail . Give them 7 days after the receipt of the letter to reimburse you , or you will take further legal Action .

A letter and consult with/from an Attorney for a small fee , might get their Attention .

Dandy Don

Yes, I'm sure. Go look up the definition of consignee--the party who receives the goods, usually the buyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">