• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I really liable??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Preciousness

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
My 17 y/o daughter borrowed a friends car to go 2 hours away to pick up her own car. She was pulled over for speeding and discovered that her license was suspended for failure to appear for ANOTHER speeding ticket she rec'd. in Feb. Because she is a minor, they arrested her & called the owner of the car to find out where she wanted them to tow it. She said she didn't know.... where ever they normally take them. Well, it was an impound lot and it cost her almost $600 (happened on Wed.pm and they picked it up Fri.pm)
I just rec'd. a summons .... she is suing me for the money. My opinion.... the owner of the vehicle (21 y/o) assumed responsibility when she handed over the keys to my minor child. But, we all know about opinions :)
My daughter, at the time, was living with her Father (now living with her boyfriend). The best part of this whole situation.... my daughter signed a statement that I had told her on the ride home from the police station, that I would pay for her friends car, and had it notarized. It was part of the nice package from the court. Lucky for me, I have 2 witnesses (my mother & 20 y/o daughter) in the car with me that can attest that those words never came out of my mouth.
My questions here.... My daughter was ordered to pay restitution to someone that her & her boyfriend stole from (NOT ME), so why would I have to pay restitution to this person on her behalf ?
I'm going to court in Sept., so we'll see, but I was hoping that someone would be familiar with type of situation.

seniorjudge

Tell the people suing you to bite big rocks.

In fact, you need to file a counterclaim in the lawsuit, demanding some ridiculous amount for lawyer's fees and for damages to you for them filing a frivolous lawsuit.

Preciousness

I actually talked to an attorney today, and basically, she said the same thing.
She told me to file a motion to dismiss for improper venue. She filed the claim in her county, instead of mine.
Thanks for the reply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">