• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I Responsible for paying this settlement fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Merle121

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I was recently terminated from my job due to the attempted theft at said company. I take full responsibility in the accused theft, however I do not take responsibility for the damage of the item. The company I was terminated from has contacted a third-party law firm that has requested that I pay them a settlement fee, not for the attempted theft, but for the damage of an item. The item did not leave the store and was not damaged by myself because it was already damaged at the time that I decided to take it. There is no proof of me damaging the item, no video or spoken testimony. I did not admit to damaging the item in my written statement when approached my the company's Loss Prevention Detective. So I am just wondering if the settlement fee that the third-party is requesting from me is legitimate? Am I truly responsibly for paying this fee, even when they have no written statement from me saying that I damaged the item and no video proof of me damaging the item? Should I take legal action if the answer is no, and also should I contact the third-party demanding I pay the settlement fee?

Thank you

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

I was recently terminated from my job due to the attempted theft at said company. I take full responsibility in the accused theft, however I do not take responsibility for the damage of the item. The company I was terminated from has contacted a third-party law firm that has requested that I pay them a settlement fee, not for the attempted theft, but for the damage of an item. The item did not leave the store and was not damaged by myself because it was already damaged at the time that I decided to take it. There is no proof of me damaging the item, no video or spoken testimony. I did not admit to damaging the item in my written statement when approached my the company's Loss Prevention Detective. So I am just wondering if the settlement fee that the third-party is requesting from me is legitimate? Am I truly responsibly for paying this fee, even when they have no written statement from me saying that I damaged the item and no video proof of me damaging the item? Should I take legal action if the answer is no, and also should I contact the third-party demanding I pay the settlement fee?

Thank you
While you may not be "responsible" for the fee, they can press criminal charges for the attempted theft if you don't.

racer72

I will take a guess that the fee the lawfirm is attempting to collect is not because the item you stole was damaged, it's called a civil recovery fee that retailers are allowed to collect by law whether the item is damaged or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">