• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I SOL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rachelp

What is the name of your state? Texas

Last year my husband and I separated yet filed jointly. In Texas (I think) there is no such thing as a legal separation. We filed jointly in good faith and the total amount was then transferred into his account. You know where I am going with this.... so I never got my 1/2 which was close to $1400 with the child earned income credit we didn't have to pay anything in. He was behind in child support $1200...so he sent "my half" through child support. We are divorced now... my question is am I pretty much SOL or can I take him to court the get my half of the tax return? What's the likelihood a judge would look at this and grant me the return? Thank you for taking the time to read this over.

PosseRider

I would not hesitate in taking him to small claims.
You can prove you were still married at the time of the filing, then you can prove once the money actually came in.
I think its only fair and hopefully you would get a judge to agree that would be fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">