• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animal Rescue/Foster Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Susan9608

What is the name of your state? Texas, but I actually have a question about California.

I wasn't quite sure what section to post this question in; I hope I have chosen the right place.

A friend of mine runs a small animal rescue in the San Francisco area of California. While she houses some of the animals, she also uses foster families to house some of the animals.

My friend arranged for a woman in Sacramento to foster a pregnant animal. After the animal gave birth to the babies, my friend went to the woman's house to pick them up. The foster mom was to continue to foster the mother and one baby; the others would be returned to the rescue.

When my friend arrived at this woman's house, she found the animals to be in deplorable conditions, without water and food, and in unsanitary cages.

She took the 3 babies she came for and left. She later called the woman to discuss the conditions the animals were kept in and to request the return of the remaining 2 foster animals. This woman also had 6 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits of her own, also kept in deporable conditions. My friend offered to take those animals as well, until this woman could improve her circumstances.

This woman requested that she be given an opportunity to change the situation in her house. She offered my friend the key to her house so my friend could verify that the changes had been made. My friend said okay and gave her 2 weeks to make the improvements.

However, the woman is now refusing to allow my friend back to her house to inspect the animals' condition.

My friend did not have a written foster contract with this woman, only an oral contract that the foster animals were property of her rescue.

Is there anything legal that can be done to remove these animals from the foster mom? From what I understand, animal control does not care too much about small animals like guinea pigs and rabbits and will not remove them unless physical abuse is occurring.

I'd appreciate any information you all could give me, and I apologize for the length of this post.

Susan9608 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas, but I actually have a question about California.

I wasn't quite sure what section to post this question in; I hope I have chosen the right place.

A friend of mine runs a small animal rescue in the San Francisco area of California. While she houses some of the animals, she also uses foster families to house some of the animals.

My friend arranged for a woman in Sacramento to foster a pregnant animal. After the animal gave birth to the babies, my friend went to the woman's house to pick them up. The foster mom was to continue to foster the mother and one baby; the others would be returned to the rescue.

When my friend arrived at this woman's house, she found the animals to be in deplorable conditions, without water and food, and in unsanitary cages.

She took the 3 babies she came for and left. She later called the woman to discuss the conditions the animals were kept in and to request the return of the remaining 2 foster animals. This woman also had 6 guinea pigs and 2 rabbits of her own, also kept in deporable conditions. My friend offered to take those animals as well, until this woman could improve her circumstances.

This woman requested that she be given an opportunity to change the situation in her house. She offered my friend the key to her house so my friend could verify that the changes had been made. My friend said okay and gave her 2 weeks to make the improvements.

However, the woman is now refusing to allow my friend back to her house to inspect the animals' condition.

My friend did not have a written foster contract with this woman, only an oral contract that the foster animals were property of her rescue.

Is there anything legal that can be done to remove these animals from the foster mom? From what I understand, animal control does not care too much about small animals like guinea pigs and rabbits and will not remove them unless physical abuse is occurring.

I'd appreciate any information you all could give me, and I apologize for the length of this post.

Her only recourse is animal control.

"From what I understand, animal control does not care too much about small animals like guinea pigs and rabbits and will not remove them unless physical abuse is occurring.

Interesting, that's not been my experience. Possibly a regional thing?

lzblake

I would argue that not providing food and water to an animal is physical abuse. It sure is not emotional abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">