• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Side Job Dilema-IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PoorMe

What is the name of your state? Il
I can't believe my h has been going through the same ordeal. To make a long story short -He did a job for a friend of a neighbor of a friend of ours. They agreed on the cost of parts plus $2500 in labor. I have receipts for $6423 for parts from the place with his name or address listed on the invoice. He has paid us $6900. We are owed about $2023 ( I don't have the exact figures right here).He had done a job for one of his other friends in the past ok. Well any way he had installed duct runs ,thermostat, humidifier, registers, etc-anyway it was a lot of work all he had left to do was put in 2 registers and hook up the ac condensor as the electric, line set etc was already run to the area. The owner asked him to wait until he had his house sided so nothing happened to the unit. After waiting for weeks and no call my h went to the house and attempted to install it, only to find he did it. Numerous calls later he did find out from the guy he installed it with a friend. I sent him a bill for the balance due, which he ignored. Our lawyer then requested it, I filled small claims. First date he was a no show, to find he never received the summons. The day before the next date we get a counterclaim saying my h never completed the job and he tried to call numerous times. He said he paid someone $6500 to install the unit and he had to change duct work. He also claims he only agreed to pay a TOTAL of $6800 for the job complete. No one in their right mind would agree to that since he wanted the furnace and air that cost $1500 each-the $150 thermostat-etc. Anyway Friday is court and our lawyer was recommending to drop both-concerned if we lose we will have a problem with our new house purchase. We are building in the spring and have money down. I don't see how we could. Why would he pay someone another $6500 to install just the unit and pay that much for the job? I think he is trying to get out of anything and on top of it have us pay for his material.

tell husband "lesson learned and i will never do SIDE JOBS AGAIN since i am subject to getting ripped off and i am scamming my employer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">