• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Answer form for Magistrate court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Springerou812

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska, a few days ago I received a civil summons from the magistrate court of Upshur county West Virginia. I need to respond via the answer form which I plan on denying the matters set forth in the complaint. As one of my defenses am I able to ask for a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction since this is in WV and I'm in Nebraska or do I need an attorney to do this? Thanks

TigerD

We need more information. Why were you sued in W. Va.? What connections with W. Va. do you have?

Google "Special Appearance"

DC

Springerou812

I had a contract with an individual that resides in West Virginia, he breached the contract I did a dispute on Paypal and the funds were returned to me. Is this enough information?

Thanks

tranquility

If you "answer" you may be agreeing to personal jurisdiction. A "special appearance" is a way to assert the claim of lack of jurisdiction without admitting to it.

Springerou812

Depending on the amount in question, you would be wise to use an attorney.

DC
Thanks DC. The amount is $995. I'll probably spend that much on an attorney but I certainly can't travel to West Virginia for much less. I guess that's why I was wondering if it was possible to handle it via the "answer form" from the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">