• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Answerphone Message possibly from Defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

-Gnasher-

I filed a claim roughly one week ago and have just had a mesage on my phone saying they would like to discuss the 'issue' regarding the defendant. This therefore means that it's not the defendant himself but possibly a lawyer?

Should I ring him on the number provided or should I leave it as it is (the papers, etc. have all been sent off). I don't want to ring him and end up giving him some defence or something.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

First post here - any advide would be hugely appreciated!

Currently reside in the UK.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

First piece of advice would be don't ignore or delete the question that was posted

WHAT IS THE NAME OF YOUR STATE?

-Gnasher-

I am from the UK. I understand this is mainly US-orientated, however, I thought this issue would be the same statewide/worldwide.

CourtClerk

I am from the UK. I understand this is mainly US-orientated, however, I thought this issue would be the same statewide/worldwide.
But it's not. So thanks for posting, but you'll need to find a UK based site, this site is for.... US LAW ONLY.

sandyclaus

So many possible responses here...

If it's the defendant or someone calling you on his behalf, they may be trying to settle before you reach the courtroom. Don't accept any settlement that isn't put in writing.

Could be one of those Court shows. They view the recent filings and pitch the parties to have their case heard on their TV shows.

Who knows who it is or how to respond unless you call them back? And no one can really advise you further here unless we know who called, and even then, the advice would be extremely general unless you can provide the applicable state for state-specific advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you aware of all the possible pitfalls when negotiating with a debtor in the UK? I thought not. That is why this is a US LAW ONLY site...

So many possible responses here...

If it's the defendant or someone calling you on his behalf, they may be trying to settle before you reach the courtroom. Don't accept any settlement that isn't put in writing.

Could be one of those Court shows. They view the recent filings and pitch the parties to have their case heard on their TV shows.

Who knows who it is or how to respond unless you call them back? And no one can really advise you further here unless we know who called, and even then, the advice would be extremely general unless you can provide the applicable state for state-specific advice.

cosine

Are you aware of all the possible pitfalls when negotiating with a debtor in the UK? I thought not. That is why this is a US LAW ONLY site...
I see lots of people from outside US posting here despite what the inserted question asks. The trouble is, the way the insert is worded, it is just as valid to get the meaning "What is the name of your state ... this question only applies to US law ... all other countries do not answer it". It would be better to use a less ambiguous wording so we don't get these posts, like "This forum is for US law, only. The name of your state is needed to get advice." Better yet, the forum should be modified to actually ask the state as page form before the one to type in the question. Then it can be a drop down menu.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
That should discourage some of them, but it really wouldn't make much difference. You could put a flashing neon sign, blinking:

"This site is for for questions about laws of the United States. If you are not in the United States we can't help you. Go away! Danger, danger, Will Robinson! If you are not in the US we are going to reach through the screen and whomp you on the head with a Whack-A-Mole stick!"

...and we'd still get a ton of the posters who say "Yes, I know it's US law, but I thought our laws and your laws are basically the same so I went ahead and asked anyway."

Never underestimate the power of a determined narcissist.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">