• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vanisrad

illinois. I was underage drinking at a club, definitely intoxicated when I was pretty sure a guy was recording me so I hit his camera and it broke I guess. He calls the police, they put me in the car take my unformation clearly see im 20 and I told them that before aswell. Bottom line they let me go I dont have any report. But the guya camera I "broke" says he does and he want me to pay for it bbeacuse he says I said I would which I do not remember. Can he take legal actions? I recieved no tickes not a sigle piece of paper.What is the name of your state (chicago il)?

justalayman

No, he doesn't have to press charges. If he has enough proof of his claim, that is all it takes. It wouldn't matter if the police were called or not if he has enough proof.

justalayman

other people at the bar. The police that showed up.

I just noticed in your first post this appears to be based on you stating you would pay for it. That isn't going to make any difference if he can prove you caused the damage.

Vanisrad

Ok but if I agreed to pay for his camera, thats a verbal agreement dont bothparties have to be in a normal state of mind? I was highly intoxicated and I never said I will pay my sister may have said it but I didnt speak with the guy at all after the police showed up. Bottom line in a verbal contract both parties have to be in a normalstate of mind nobody on my side was so there for the contract is not vaild in court? Or was that information incorrect, how can you promise something when your drunk?

justalayman

Ok but if I agreed to pay for his camera, thats a verbal agreement dont bothparties have to be in a normal state of mind? I was highly intoxicated and I never said I will pay my sister may have said it but I didnt speak with the guy at all after the police showed up. Bottom line in a verbal contract both parties have to be in a normalstate of mind nobody on my side was so there for the contract is not vaild in court? Or was that information incorrect, how can you promise something when your drunk?
Ok, let's presume you won the argument there is no contract. You still broke the camera so now you have liability because your intentional actions. The contract is irrelevant and by you arguing the contract isn't valid because you were incapacitated, you will basically prove his argument the you broke his camera.]

You still lose. It doesn't matter why, just that you will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">