• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Trying To Make Me Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JLake1983

What is the name of your state? Texas

In March, we gave my apartment writing notice that we would be moving out at the end of our lease, which was June 1st. We had to be out of the apartment by May 31st. The next month, in April, they gave us a form to fill out stating why we were leaving and both me and my roommate both signed the form and gave it back April 17th. Now, they just called us saying we had a balance on our account for Junes rent. I explained that it must be a mistake because we gave them months of notice and that we weren't living there anymore and that we had receipts of our notices of us leaving. The man at the apartment complex told us we failed to give 60 days notice. I told him we first gave a writen statement in March, and then again in April. He said that in order for those to have qualified as "notices" it had to be EXACTLY 60 days before our lease was up for it to count. The March one would have meant we were leaving May 1st, even though it CLEARLY stated that we were leaving at the end of our lease, and the April one that they gave us, was filed April 14th, so that means 60 days would have been June 14th. You can see, that they are criminals. But my question is can they get away with that because of the wording on the contract? Does it have to be an EXACT 60 day notice? I would think giving MORE than 60 day notice would be the more polite thing to do. Also, if that hadn't been sufficient, they should have told us that. Someone please help me.

Email: [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">