• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appartment Sublet gone bad.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Capiak

I was living with a few friends of mine (two brothers); their father was actually renting the place where we were staying. Their dad's name was on the lease, and we were paying him the rent. I never signed any lease or contract of sublet, so technically the actual landlord of the building never even knew I existed.

I moved out, and gave him 3 weeks notice. And legally a tenant is supposed to give 60 days notice, but I was never a legal tenant of that apartment. A week later he is claiming that I did not give him enough notice, and that I owe him an extra months rent. As a student with a very low paying job, and just having paid first and last month's rent at a new apartment, I can't possibly afford to pay this, nor do I think I should have to legally. His reasons are that he needed that time to find a new tenant, but his two sons had already decided that they were going to take over (and pay my share of the rent after I left), and that they didn't want someone else living there. So he has not really lost out on any money. I know that he does not have a legal leg to stand on under the Housing Tribunal since he is not the landlord of the building, and I never had any kind of contract with him, but technically he can take me to Small Claims Court. He has not threatened to do so yet, but I am a little worried about what my rights are in this situation.

So I would appreciate if anyone could offer some advice.

seniorjudge

Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Sounds like they are just puffing a lot of hot air and thin smoke.

mrogre

I remember from a previous law class I took... and I can almost guarantee you this is a generic rule. You CAN'T COLLECT double rent.

Google this phrase
Deposit "collect double rent"

I also doubt he'd take you to small claims over such a small amount.

PS: I'm not a lawyer, so don't interpret this as legal professional advice.

JETX

mrogre said:
I remember from a previous law class I took
And since you deemed your response so important, even without knowing what laws apply, what country was this 'law class' located in?? :rolleyes:

seniorjudge

JETX said:
And since you deemed your response so important, even without knowing what laws apply, what country was this 'law class' located in?? :rolleyes:
I was kinda wonderin' what kinda class is required to tell people that they don't have to pay a debt twice?

If I'm not mistaken, I learned that at my mammy's knee before I could talk.

JETX

seniorjudge said:
I was kinda wonderin' what kinda class is required to tell people that they don't have to pay a debt twice?
What does paying a debt twice have to do with this subject??

If I'm not mistaken, I learned that at my mammy's knee before I could talk.
Was your 'mammy' in Bangladesh??
For all we know, that could be where this writer is located.... and the reason why we ask for the writers location!!
Or don't you realize that US laws are not valid in other countries, or that some laws are different in each state??
What an idiot!!

mrogre

"And since you deemed your response so important, even without knowing what laws apply, what country was this 'law class' located in??"

First off I said a generic rule. Secondly, I was assuming America for both of us was know when I referred to the search. It appears that doing a simple websearch that I said the what-to-do on google, which is showing results situated around the US.

Anyway, it seems that the double collection of rent results in the web search is probably confirming this, but I make no guarantees that this is entirely true as I said I'm not a lawyer ... :rolleyes: (ie take with a grain of salt)

and...The double collection of rent bit,
You aren't supposed to have someone who paid and vacated a room and than get another tenant therefore collecting double rent. His attempt to get her to cough up for rent money while someone else is living there contradicts this.

BelizeBreeze

mrogre said:
and...The double collection of rent bit,
You aren't supposed to have someone who paid and vacated a room and than get another tenant therefore collecting double rent. His attempt to get her to cough up for rent money while someone else is living there contradicts this.
Please provide the specific citation of law for this poster's state and/or country to support your position.

seniorjudge

JETX said:
What does paying a debt twice have to do with this subject??

Was your 'mammy' in Bangladesh??
For all we know, that could be where this writer is located.... and the reason why we ask for the writers location!!
Or don't you realize that US laws are not valid in other countries, or that some laws are different in each state??
What an idiot!!
JETX, you lost me on this ... were you responding to me?

JETX

seniorjudge said:
JETX, you lost me on this ... were you responding to me?
Yep. You were trying to offer legal advice (presumably) to someone when we don't know what state, or even country, he is in.

Two 'tips' that he is NOT in the USA (and therefore NOT subject to US law!!)
1) He purposely deleted, and overlooked, the issue of state, and
2) His use of 'Housing Tribunal' is typical for CANADA!!

seniorjudge

seniorjudge said:

Hope for the best and expect the worst.

Sounds like they are just puffing a lot of hot air and thin smoke.
"Yep. You were trying to offer legal advice (presumably) to someone when we don't know what state, or even country, he is in."

Hmmm....Advice, yeah, but legal advice? I don't see any legal advice in anything I have put in this thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">