• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeal in a Civil Action Suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

firepolice520

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.
My husband and I we taken to court by our old landlords and we lost but the judge told us to appeal it and so we did, we filed the appeal within the 20 days required, we followed all the proper steps. we waited the 20 days to hear from the other people in the appeal, 20 days came and went and they never responded to the appeal now we are 50 days into the time of the appeal they are 30 days past the time they had to file the answer to our appeal, they never did, i did today however get served by the sheriff with a NEW legal action against us, now it states on our appeal papers that they have 20 days to file an answer and if they do not it will be a judgement of non pros, i contacted the court house and they told me that the 20 days don't matter at all and that they are allowed to do what they like to, i called an attorney and he stated that is bull poop that after the 20 days the case should have been closed and it be judged for non pros and nothing else could be done regarding this case, could you please clarify for me thank you

CMSC

I don't know the answer so I will bump this up to the top and maybe someone can help.

I just wanted to make one comment, did they judge tell you that you SHOULD appeal or that you COULD appeal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">