• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appealing a Magistrate's Decision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macpark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I asked this question before, but I have new information, so forgive the repeat. My hearing was on September 16th, and I had one week to appeal. During this time I received threatening emails from the defendant and my apartment was burglaralized (though I cannot prove it was he who did it -- but my apartment is VERY hard to find, so only he would know where it is).

Anyway, I was told I had to write a letter to the court administrator requesting an appeal beyond the one-week time frame, and explain why I initially changed my mind.

Here is my letter, should I send it? Or should I send it to the Judicial Board for investigation and forget about the appeal?

Dear Mr. Smith:

On September 16, 2010, I was a plaintiff in Magistrate Brown's courtroom for a small claims case. Mr. Brown continually shouted, interrupted, and treated me with extreme disrespect.

I have a hearing problem and stutter, yet he made jokes about this in his courtroom. Mr. Brown did not show me any consideration or even treat me like a human being. I was extremely nervous, which is normal for a person to be nervous in court. When I was asked to give the name of my witness, Mr. Brown again shouted at me because I was nervous.

I am not sure if Mr. Brown was friends with the defendant, Mr. Green, but Mr. Brown treated Mr. Green respectfully and allowed Mr. Green to read a one-page statement. When I attempted to read my written statement, Mr. Brown again interrupted me, shouted, and treated me as if I was not a human being. Mr. Brown also took excessive amounts of time pontificating about things that had nothing to do with the case – as if he was speaking just for the sake of hearing himself speak.

At the end of Mr. Brown's soliloquies, he psychoanalyzed me in front of the entire courtroom, which was not only unprofessional; it was extremely humiliating and embarrassing to me.

According to the Judicial Tenure’s Commission, Mr. Brown violated at least two of his Adjunctive Responsibilities listed in CANON 3, specifically paragraphs 3 and 10:

3. A judge should be patient, dignified, and courteous to litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers, and others with whom the judge deals in an official capacity, and should require similar conduct of lawyers and of staff, court officials, and others subject to the judge's direction and control.

10. Without regard to a person's race, gender, or other protected personal characteristic, a judge should treat every person fairly, with courtesy and respect. To the extent possible, a judge should require staff, court officials, and others who are subject to the judge's direction and control to provide such fair, courteous, and respectful treatment to persons who have contact with the court.

These Adjunctive Responsibilities were not followed or even considered. The entire experience was unethical and unprofessional. For these reasons I am requesting to exercise my right to appeal Mr. Brown's verdict and have my case heard in front of a judge.

The reason I initially cancelled my request for an appeal was because I received threatening letters and emails from the defendant, Mr. Green, telling me I would be “regret it” if I did not drop the Small Claim lawsuit. Also during this time, my apartment was burglarized (I filed a police report). I have no doubt that the defendant, Mr. Green, was involved, but I am unable to prove it.

Again, for these reasons I am requesting an appeal. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

[My Name]

Last edited:

latigo

You are correct about the seven (7) day time period within which you could have appealed from the magistrate judge’s decision. It is statutory. *

But wrong in being led to believe that the court administrator is empowered to grant you an extension.

The times fixed for appeals are jurisdictional. Which means that if the appeal is not perfected within the time period allowed, the appellate court cannot hear the appeal. It has no jurisdiction to do so. Not even if the litigants themselves agree and consent can the appellate court take jurisdiction.

So not matter your excuses for missing the cutoff date, reasonable or not, the magistrates decision is final because no one has the authority to extend the appeal deadline.

[*]Michigan Compiled Laws Chapter 600 REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961)

“Sec. 8427 Conduct of small claims hearing by district court judge or magistrate; appeal.

A small claims hearing may be conducted either by a district court judge or by a district court magistrate who is an attorney licensed to practice in this state and who is authorized to do so by the chief judge of the district court district as provided in section 8514. If the hearing is conducted by a district court magistrate, an appeal de novo as of right may be taken by either party to the small claims division of the district court. Appeal shall be taken within 7 days after the entry of the decision of the magistrate. Further appeal from the judgment of the district court judge shall not be available to either party.”

davidmcbeth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I asked this question before, but I have new information, so forgive the repeat. My hearing was on September 16th, and I had one week to appeal. During this time I received threatening emails from the defendant and my apartment was burglaralized (though I cannot prove it was he who did it -- but my apartment is VERY hard to find, so only he would know where it is).

Anyway, I was told I had to write a letter to the court administrator requesting an appeal beyond the one-week time frame, and explain why I initially changed my mind.

Here is my letter, should I send it? Or should I send it to the Judicial Board for investigation and forget about the appeal?

Dear Mr. Smith:

On September 16, 2010, I was a plaintiff in Magistrate Brown's courtroom for a small claims case. Mr. Brown continually shouted, interrupted, and treated me with extreme disrespect.

I have a hearing problem and stutter, yet he made jokes about this in his courtroom. Mr. Brown did not show me any consideration or even treat me like a human being. I was extremely nervous, which is normal for a person to be nervous in court. When I was asked to give the name of my witness, Mr. Brown again shouted at me because I was nervous.

I am not sure if Mr. Brown was friends with the defendant, Mr. Green, but Mr. Brown treated Mr. Green respectfully and allowed Mr. Green to read a one-page statement. When I attempted to read my written statement, Mr. Brown again interrupted me, shouted, and treated me as if I was not a human being. Mr. Brown also took excessive amounts of time pontificating about things that had nothing to do with the case – as if he was speaking just for the sake of hearing himself speak.

At the end of Mr. Brown's soliloquies, he psychoanalyzed me in front of the entire courtroom, which was not only unprofessional; it was extremely humiliating and embarrassing to me.

According to the Judicial Tenure’s Commission, Mr. Brown violated at least two of his Adjunctive Responsibilities listed in CANON 3, specifically paragraphs 3 and 10:

3. A judge should be patient, dignified, and courteous to litigants, jurors, witnesses, lawyers, and others with whom the judge deals in an official capacity, and should require similar conduct of lawyers and of staff, court officials, and others subject to the judge's direction and control.

10. Without regard to a person's race, gender, or other protected personal characteristic, a judge should treat every person fairly, with courtesy and respect. To the extent possible, a judge should require staff, court officials, and others who are subject to the judge's direction and control to provide such fair, courteous, and respectful treatment to persons who have contact with the court.

These Adjunctive Responsibilities were not followed or even considered. The entire experience was unethical and unprofessional. For these reasons I am requesting to exercise my right to appeal Mr. Brown's verdict and have my case heard in front of a judge.

The reason I initially cancelled my request for an appeal was because I received threatening letters and emails from the defendant, Mr. Green, telling me I would be “regret it” if I did not drop the Small Claim lawsuit. Also during this time, my apartment was burglarized (I filed a police report). I have no doubt that the defendant, Mr. Green, was involved, but I am unable to prove it.

Again, for these reasons I am requesting an appeal. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

[My Name]
why waste paper & ink .. it simply too late to request a new hearing

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">