• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arbitrary towing fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shu3737

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state

Long story short, I called a company to have my car towed to my home, due to having flat tires. The driver initially agreed to tow my car for $250. It took them several trips because they had an issue with the first tow truck and after about four hours of just standing in the cold and rain, I moved my car and took a taxi home and told them what my address was so they could drop my car off. Having been up all night now, I waited for them in my living room to drop my car off and I eventually just fell asleep. So then they impounded my car. The location of my car, my home, and their shop are all about 20 minutes/10 miles or so from each other according to mapquest - we're not talking long distances here.

When I talked to them, they wanted me to pay $580, not including tax, to get it dropped off at my house. I said that was way too much money. He said $150 of it was for delivery, so I said I'll just go get it in person.

I went there in person, and they have zero paperwork. To determine how much it would cost me, the office guy simply called the tow truck driver who said $420 to pick it up, and he proceeded to simply write an amount on a simple receipt. I asked how much delivery would be, and he said $100. I asked how they arrived at their figure, and he said that they charge $250 an hour. I don't see how they could get to $420, but more importantly, it's pretty obvious that they are simply charging me in an arbitrary manner.

So in a nutshell, there's a towing company that has zero documentation for me, and has my car impounded at their lot. I am not sure what I should do. On the one hand, they can legally start charging me storage fees the longer my car is there. On the other hand, I don't want to rush in and pay some fee that was not what we agreed upon, and thereby "consent" to the charge.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it might not seem like much money to some of you, and it is easy to say just pay it, but as a student, that amount hurts. Also, I really resent what they are doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">