• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Artist Owes Me Money, How to Collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mysuperlongacct

I am located in North Carolina.

My wife and I commissioned a young, up-and-coming artist to create an original painting in the same style as one she had displayed (and sold) at an art show we attended. We paid her $1,100 up front to work on it, with $1,100 due on delivery.

When the work was delivered, it was of sub par quality but we paid her the $1,100 as expected. One day later, I asked her to continue working on the painting to bring it closer to the quality of the work that inspired it, and she agreed. I dropped it off at her studio, and that was the last I saw of it. No return date was agreed upon.

Emails were exchanged for several months, and then there was no communication. Because we are friends on Facebook, and generally move in the same social circles, I know she had a series of personal setbacks. It was because of this that we were accommodating to the long period of non-communication.

Two months ago, the artist announced on Facebook that she was relocating to her hometown in another state and would be leaving within a week. I attempted to reach out to her via all known channels (email, Facebook, telephone) with no response. Researching small claims court, I produced a demand letter and that got her attention. Via email we settled on a repayment plan that included four equal payments of $550 per month beginning in December 2016 and running through March 2017. An invoice for the first payment was sent to her on December 1.

As you can imagine, it is now January 1 and no payment has been made. When I was researching small claims court, I understood the challenge of her relocation. Is it true that I would have to file in her home state of Wisconsin (which is 1,000 miles away)? What other recourse could I pursue?

I have this all documented via electronic communication -- her willingness to work on the painting, her acknowledgment that she could not complete the project, and her suggestion of the repayment plan.

quincy

I am located in North Carolina.

My wife and I commissioned a young, up-and-coming artist to create an original painting in the same style as one she had displayed (and sold) at an art show we attended. We paid her $1,100 up front to work on it, with $1,100 due on delivery.

When the work was delivered, it was of sub par quality but we paid her the $1,100 as expected. One day later, I asked her to continue working on the painting to bring it closer to the quality of the work that inspired it, and she agreed. I dropped it off at her studio, and that was the last I saw of it. No return date was agreed upon.

Emails were exchanged for several months, and then there was no communication. Because we are friends on Facebook, and generally move in the same social circles, I know she had a series of personal setbacks. It was because of this that we were accommodating to the long period of non-communication.

Two months ago, the artist announced on Facebook that she was relocating to her hometown in another state and would be leaving within a week. I attempted to reach out to her via all known channels (email, Facebook, telephone) with no response. Researching small claims court, I produced a demand letter and that got her attention. Via email we settled on a repayment plan that included four equal payments of $550 per month beginning in December 2016 and running through March 2017. An invoice for the first payment was sent to her on December 1.

As you can imagine, it is now January 1 and no payment has been made. When I was researching small claims court, I understood the challenge of her relocation. Is it true that I would have to file in her home state of Wisconsin (which is 1,000 miles away)? What other recourse could I pursue?

I have this all documented via electronic communication -- her willingness to work on the painting, her acknowledgment that she could not complete the project, and her suggestion of the repayment plan.
First, the holiday time has made for delays in mail delivery. Did you provide a due date for the first payment with your December 1st invoice (i.e, how many days did the artist have to send the payment)?

You are correct that you cannot sue the artist in North Carolina in a North Carolina small claims court. For North Carolina small claims actions, you must file in the North Carolina county where the defendant lives.

Here is a link to the Wisconsin Court System's self help center, followed by a link to a Wisconsin Basic Guide to Small Claims Actions:

https://www.wicourts.gov/services/public/selfhelp/smallclaims.htm

https://www.wicourts.gov/formdisplay/SC-6000_instructions.pdf?formNumber=SC-6000&formType=Instructions&formatId=2&language=en

If you sue in Wisconsin and win your suit, you will have a judgment that you will be responsible for collecting on. Collecting on a judgment can be as difficult as collecting payments on your invoices. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">