• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempted theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CTUser55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Is it possible to pursue legal action against someone who attempted to steal from you? I bought two tickets for a music festival, but could only use one. I decided to StubHub the other (if it matters, it was sold for face + the cost of the associated concert fees that were included when I purchased it). Two days into the festival, I received a message from StubHub that I was being investigated for selling an "invalid" ticket and could be facing a charge of the ticket price + over $500 in penalty fees (over $1500 in total). The buyer fraudulently claimed the ticket that was sold was invalid: The venue's scan report, however, shows that the ticket was used successfully for each day of the festival and I was sitting next to the guy for the duration. I was able to provide the evidence to StubHub and have the case against me dismissed but if I wasn't able to provide the scan report, I was facing some major expenses.

While I'm happy to know that the case has been resolved with StubHub, I was wondering if I can pursue any legal action against the buyer as I have all sorts of documentation proving that the ticket was valid, mailed to his address and utilized at the concert. It is clear due to the complaint that he had hoped to attend the show, claim the ticket was useless and then have the expense reimbursed. It took a considerable amount of time (+5 hours) to track down all required items and ruined my last day at the show.

Thanks in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Is it possible to pursue legal action against someone who attempted to steal from you? I bought two tickets for a music festival, but could only use one. I decided to StubHub the other (if it matters, it was sold for face + the cost of the associated concert fees that were included when I purchased it). Two days into the festival, I received a message from StubHub that I was being investigated for selling an "invalid" ticket and could be facing a charge of the ticket price + over $500 in penalty fees (over $1500 in total). The buyer fraudulently claimed the ticket that was sold was invalid: The venue's scan report, however, shows that the ticket was used successfully for each day of the festival and I was sitting next to the guy for the duration. I was able to provide the evidence to StubHub and have the case against me dismissed but if I wasn't able to provide the scan report, I was facing some major expenses.

While I'm happy to know that the case has been resolved with StubHub, I was wondering if I can pursue any legal action against the buyer as I have all sorts of documentation proving that the ticket was valid, mailed to his address and utilized at the concert. It is clear due to the complaint that he had hoped to attend the show, claim the ticket was useless and then have the expense reimbursed. It took a considerable amount of time (+5 hours) to track down all required items and ruined my last day at the show.

Thanks in advance!
No, life is inconvenient sometimes.

FlyingRon

The buyer didn't do anything to you. It's between StubHub and him. You can certainly file a complaint with the police, but given your tangential involvement in the thing, there's probably not probable cause for them to proceed. Some StubHub person would still need to testify. You can't testify over what StubHub told you about the attempt to defraud them.

Just let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">