• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

audio recordings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

espia17

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

I am taking my ex-boyfriend to small claims court for a civil claim, a monetary dispute. Would audio of phone conversations be admissible in court if they were obtained without his knowledge that the conversations were recorded?

BelizeBreeze

18 Pa. Cons. Stat. §§ 5703, 5704: It is a felony to intercept any wire, oral or electronic communication without the consent of all participants. It also is a felony to disclose or use the contents of a communication when there is reason to know those contents were obtained through an illegal interception.

Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5702.

So how did you record this conversation and what are the facts?

tessa

No I believe taped recordings without consent can't be used as evidence. In most cases the only time tape recordings can be used is if for example, you meet with someone and you are carrying a voice recorder and record your conversation. Otherwise the recordings can not come into evidence in court.

BelizeBreeze

No I believe taped recordings without consent can't be used as evidence. In most cases the only time tape recordings can be used is if for example, you meet with someone and you are carrying a voice recorder and record your conversation. Otherwise the recordings can not come into evidence in court.
And that would be wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">