• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
I was taken to small claims court on an auto accident for not having car insurance, the plantiff did not like my first offer (2000.00 for dammages and a hospital visit), so we went to trial. He did not show up for court on trial date, so the judge dismissed the case. The next day he calls and asked if I can offer 2500.00 dollars, we could come to an agreement for damages and hospital bill. Then he says he has had flashbacks of the accident and he wants to see a doctor about it. Its been three months since the accident, and he has been in other accidents before (2 years pryer), Is he trying to pull a quick on me? Can he try and sue me again for other doctor bills after we settle on the damages and hostpital visit? Would it fall under small claims or cival court? Is it best to offer an extra 500.00 dollars to include everything and any other doctor visits and put it writing that we are done with the whole thing? What should I do?

cosine

Unless the earlier dismissal was "with prejudice" (unlikely), he can sue again. Document everything he does and says. Ask him to send you a complete detailing of all hosts costs along with a description of how each is related to the accident. Go over it with your lawyer to see what makes sense.

davidmcbeth3

questions

when did your get your default judgment in your favor??? If over 30 days, the case is closed in all most states, ie to open the default judgment.

So try to stall him that long.... has he shown you Dr. bills etc. to support his claim? If not, make him show it to the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">