• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident - Small Claims Court Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

webman2348

What is the name of your state?MICHIGA

Someone is sueing me because he had an accident with my vehicle while my Sister-In-Law was driving. My SIL was taking a left turn and he a right turn on a snowy day. His front fender got damaged and and my left front near the wheel got damaged and the driver door got scraped. His car was small and has more damages. According to my SIL, He took a wide turn and hit my car. However he is saying my SIL took a tight turn. There were no witnesses.

Now he has taken me to a Small Claims court for $500 deductible, saying that I had offered to pay for damages. The truth is, I had not offered no such thing and I have witnesses in my SIL & BIL. Also, insurance had indicated that it was not going to pay anybody out since both statements were conflicting, no witnesses and recommended to settle in the courts. However since my car is old, 1992 Honda, I didn't consider suing.

I don't have experience dealing with courts. What should I expect in this situation? I just found about this case which is in couple of days. Will the judge grant me an extension since my witnesses are out of state( My SIL and BIL) and I need some time to prepare for my defense. Will the judge honor witness letters notarized and faxed from other state?

Also, Should I counter claim? My damages amounts to $580 based on mechanic estimates.

Please HELP!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">