• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto body disaster

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

civicgirl

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I must first say I must be an idiot. I have a 1995 Honda civic that was in mid-process of being a show car. I had broken up with my boyfriend who was doing the body work at the time. I went to a body shop that told me to finish what I wanted, it would cost $4,000.00. I told them I would like it done in time for this past summer so I can take my car to shows. I was told it was impossible as there was no room for my car. I was then referred to a guy that did body work on the side. He worked in other reputible autobody shops, and had a fair character reputation. I was told to be careful as he did have a tendancy to screw up time-wise. He came to look at my car in late February 2004, and told me he could finish the car including painting my dash board for $3,000 if I bought the materials (paint). I agreed and had my car towed the next week to his garage where he would perform the work. I wrote him a check about two weeks after for $2,700.00 for him to start the work. After constant interrogation and persistance, I got my car back from him in October 2004 (five months after our agreed time). In fact, the car wasnt even finished! He also lost the paint for the dash (which he never painted). He also did not fit the bumpers or put them on (which I had to pay $600 for someone to put on). After inspecting the car, I have found numerous problems with his work, and I am considering taking him to small claims to get back the money I paid him, or the cost of getting his work fixed. PLEASE TELL ME IF I HAVE A CASE! I'm afraid he may change our agreement in court and make me look like I expected more than we agreed upon. As the paint continues to fall off, I'd like to start proceedings! Do I have a chance of getting my money back?

JETX

civicgirl said:
Do I have a chance of getting my money back?
No one can answer that.
First, you do have a 'chance' of getting a judgment against him. How good a chance depends largely on what evidence you can present as to what the 'agreement' was on his work. And of course, since you had already been 'pre-warned' about his 'problems', you got your agreement in writing, didn't you??

Second, if you get a judgment, no one can tell whether you can 'get your money back' since we don't know if he has any non-exempt assets that you can seize if needed.

Summary... you will likely get a judgment of some amount. Whether he pays it, or you can seize assets, is up to his financial 'standing'.

civicgirl

body shop disaster

Thanks for your response JETX. Like I said, I was an idiot. I trusted that he would do the reputable work that I have seen. Unfortunately, I did not get the agreement in writing, but my main "argument" would be that he did bad work. It appears to become more and more frequent, as others are now learning the same mistake I did. I think my only help in this case, would be if the others are willing to come forward and testify he is doing this on purpose, as his cars (as well as his brothers) are in fine shape.
Thanks again!
Amiee

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">