• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto insurance denying my claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crabbie73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I met into an auto accident few weeks ago around 5 A.M., I hit someone else's car on the way to buy breakfast. No one is injured, the other car is barely damaged but my car suffer quite a damage. I called up my insurance agent right after they open and ask my insurance agent if I my car is liability / full coverage since I wasn't sure. My agent told me that I have full coverage. I called just to make sure that I have a full coverage before I decide whether I want to repair my car out of my own pocket or I want to use the insurance. After that, I brought my car the the body shop to get an estimate. The estimate cost around $8,000 then I called up my agent again to tell her that I met into an accident and I want to make a claim.

After I talk to my agent, I call up the 1-800 number for the claim center, they told me that they can't find my policy number but they did write down all the details about my accident. Few days later,they told me that my insurance has been cancelled since February. After going back and forth, they finally told me that my agent wrote the wrong information for my auto debit payment earlier this January when I transfer to this agent from my old agent (my old agent office was closed down so they transfer me to this new agent). I remember that I did sign a few paperwork but my agent was the one that fill out the paperwork and I didn't review it so I didn't know that the credit card information was wrong. The claim center also say that they did send me a notice that my policy has been cancelled since February but both me and my agent were never notified nor received it.

Now, they are denying my claim. I was thinking of bringing this to a small claim court. The maximum amount I can sue them in small claim court is $5,000; still not enough to cover the damage to my car but better than nothing. Do you think I have a valid reason to sue my insurance company through the insurance agent? I cannot sue the main insurance company (Farmers/Bristol West) directly since they are not based in Washington or should I sue my insurance agent for giving me the wrong information since when I called them up the first time, my agent told me that I did have full coverage on my car. Thanks in advance for your response.

ecmst12

You didn't pay the bill so you had no coverage. Pretty simple. Before they can cancel your policy, they have to send you several notices in the mail, which you probably tossed out with your junk mail. And even besides that, after the first month went by with no payment deducted from your account, you should have known something was wrong and investigated. Instead 5 months went by with no payment. They owe you nothing.

crabbie73

I had been with Farmers for more than 2 years and this never happened before as I always used an auto debit payment in the past. When I called my agent that morning after the accident she also did told me that I had a full coverage on my car. So can I sue my insurance agent instead of Farmers?

Banned_Princess

I had been with Farmers for more than 2 years and this never happened before as I always used an auto debit payment in the past. When I called my agent that morning after the accident she also did told me that I had a full coverage on my car. So can I sue my insurance agent instead of Farmers?
No, why did'nt you notice you weren't paying the bill?

You dont make sure your bills are in fact drafted? Thats your responsibility you know....

ecmst12

Your agent doesn't collect or apply the payments. She just looked up the policy you signed up for. Since you didn't pay for it, you didn't have it.

latigo

I always used an auto debit payment in the past.
But wasn’t it your responsibility to see that the appropriate debit entry was posted to your credit card account? According to you the premium was due in January. How often to you check the accuracy of those credit card statements?

So can I sue my insurance agent instead of Farmers?
You want to sue the agent because after the accident she mistakenly thought you had coverage? That makes no sense. It would be like a newspaper being held responsible because they printed the wrong numbers on the winning lottery tickets.

It would be different if before the accident the agent mistakenly told you that you were covered and you had driven the vehicle on that assumption.

But this was after the fact. Your loss didn’t result from anything the agent told you.

There seems to be some question as to the effectiveness of the company’s action in canceling the policy, but I don’t see you being able to develop the needed information through subpoenaing the necessary company records.

In stead I would have you lay the dispute before the Office of the Washington State Commissioner of Insurance. Let that regulatory body gather that information.

Toll free: 1-800-562-6900
Olympia: 360-725-7080
Fax: 360-586-2018
TDD: 360-586-0241
Email: [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">